Coal Fired Lady Anne Project- She Works!

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations Daniel! You must be very pleased with yourself - and rightly so.
It sounds like the waterways to the gauge glass may either be slightly blocked or maybe too narrow. I had a similar problem on my Sabre Steam Annette. I was going to fit a new gauge glass supplied by David Bailey (DJB Model Engineering) but there wasn't enough material to drill and tap the larger holes needed. I had taken my loco over to Raif Copley for help. He suggested opening up the existing waterways by 0.1 or 0.2 mm (i.e. drilling out with a 2.2 or 2.3mm drill). It made all the difference and the water gauge now works pretty well. (Well enough that I don't run the boiler dry these days!). The other thing to do is put a piece of thick fuse wire or thin brass rod inside the glass tube. This helps to settle things down.
Anyway- well done. You're getting there!
Did you have a separate thread about your loco or was it part of the Steve Rolls thread, which was deleted by the moderators?
Cheers!
Steve

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Excellent progress Daniel, looks great.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Excellent very impressive stuff. Shame we can't smell it via the web...

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
LlongfordRailway said:
I am going to scrap the inner side tanks and make it a tender engine.
Following our discussions a while ago, I think that this was a good decision!

big ted

Registered
23 Nov 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I'd chime in to say I've been following this thread with excitement. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures!

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations Daniel! It's good to have an update on your progress. I concur with your comment about painting. I decided to bite the bullet and send my Silver Lady to Tony Willmore of 'Rhos Helyg Loco Works' and save myself from disappointment. It's not a decision I regret. For anyone else thinking about painting a loco Tony does a very nice job and the cost can be reduced by dismantling the loco and simply sending him the bits to be painted.
By the way, you may not be able to solve the problem with the primer reacting with the paint simply by rubbing it down. You may have to strip it completely.
Steve

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
LlongfordRailway said:
Hello all,

Following a couple of PM's I have received (you can ask me in the main thread people!), I am not sure at this moment in time if I am going to write this build up as an article to be submitted to Garden Rail. When I first started the build, I made a running log of what I was doing which later became an article but I have not updated this in sometime. I may return to this article and finish it. I have plenty of pictures to go with the article too but I won't be able to do it just yet. I have spoken with Tag about it too but I will just have to see. Perhaps in the new year I may look at this when the project is finished will all detail added and send something to Tag to see what he thinks.

Thanks

Daniel

Good idea. Best to have it all finished first (in the early years of GR one locomotive builder expired half way through the build :(? ) I would be keen to run this however...