idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice. I like the casual stance of the driver. You would have to be very confident to drive one of those beasts on your own with one hand in your pocket!
I think even Fred Dibnah would have balked at that. :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've just about got it finished. Painting done, and I've about had enough of it. Time to call it a day.
here's the video of it running around Lilyvale.

Really puts some life into the High Street, love it.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've just about got it finished. Painting done, and I've about had enough of it. Time to call it a day.
here's the video of it running around Lilyvale.

That seems to run (and steer) just fine, Greg!
Re the comment on the video about no room for a speaker.... you could always use one of the little "flat" Visaton ones like the smallest type that Massoth supply, about 25mm diameter and no more than 4-5mm thick, and stick it underneath the roof pointing downwards? I've done this inside the cab roofs of several locos where there was no other practical option for speaker mounting, and it really can't be seen from any "normal" viewing angle....

Jon.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice. I like the casual stance of the driver. You would have to be very confident to drive one of those beasts on your own with one hand in your pocket!
I was going to mention the super-confident driver. He had both hands in his pockets to start. I've chopped one so far and moved his arm. Must do the 2nd arm and then make some hands for him!
That seems to run (and steer) just fine, Greg!
Re the comment on the video about no room for a speaker....
Jon.
I have ordered some 'lap top' speakers - 6mm thick, so will try them out. Problem is how to get wires up to roof - the roof is removable. I have used speakers in the roof for 2 other locos - not great.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to mention the super-confident driver. He had both hands in his pockets to start. I've chopped one so far and moved his arm. Must do the 2nd arm and then make some hands for him!

I have ordered some 'lap top' speakers - 6mm thick, so will try them out. Problem is how to get wires up to roof - the roof is removable. I have used speakers in the roof for 2 other locos - not great.
Have you thought about Sugar Cube Soeakers populat for small 00 Locomotives, they really are quite small. But probably not that cheep.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about Sugar Cube Soeakers populat for small 00 Locomotives, they really are quite small. But probably not that cheep.
Before I'd consider them, I'd need to hear some testimonials from G scale outdoor users.
I know When I'm installing sound systems in locos on my indoor bench, it sounds really loud - the wife usually complains. Then I take it outside and from 5 m away I can hardly hear it.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
He's finally taken his hand out of his pocket.
I've given him a couple of hands now - but my model hands end up looking like seal flippers.
new driver right.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant, Greg! Sounds/looks like you've cracked the various problems with the steering circuitry and programming. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the driver now having his hands (or flippers) on the steering wheel ;)

Rik

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
With regard to the sound, could you reduce the boiler length so that it does not go so far into the chassis and put a speaker in the box area left making it a sort of amplifying box?
If room is an issue I have shoehorned a Hobbyking RX into the backhead of a loco similar to a Stainz by taking off the plastic body, once the body is removed the circuit board is not that bulky and the pins can be bent to fit the plug or maybe the connection could be hardwired to the board.
It could be mounted over the PICAXE board leaving enough room for a sound board or running a parallel program in the PICAXE that is just a chuff with no variation.
Food for thought or maybe some tormenting depending on the point of view, you can chastise me on my next visit. ;)

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
With regard to the sound, could you reduce the boiler length so that it does not go so far into the chassis and put a speaker in the box area left making it a sort of amplifying box?
If room is an issue I have shoehorned a Hobbyking RX into the backhead of a loco similar to a Stainz by taking off the plastic body, once the body is removed the circuit board is not that bulky and the pins can be bent to fit the plug or maybe the connection could be hardwired to the board.
It could be mounted over the PICAXE board leaving enough room for a sound board or running a parallel program in the PICAXE that is just a chuff with no variation.
Food for thought or maybe some tormenting depending on the point of view, you can chastise me on my next visit. ;)
Thanks for the suggestions Graeme. It possible I could cut the boiler where it projects into the 'box'. I had left it there as I was worried about the strength of just gluing a short tube section onto the box front. BUt maybe a whole lot of epoxy around the joint would be strong enough. I do tend to lift the engine up by the boiler when I'm not thinking.
Interesting idea to take the hobbyking Rx out of its case. Filed away for future reference. I have an old failed Rx, so could experiment with that.