Brothalbahn D4

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Many of us own a LGB V51/V52 loco, which were based on a MaK loco originally built for a cement works in Germany.

DB later brought 5 locos for narrow gauge lines which is what the LGB model is based on.

The original MaK loco later worked on the Brohtalbahn as D4, before going to the RhB in 1999 as No. 241. They updated and modified it to work mainly at the Untervaz Industrial Area. The loco was retired from the RhB this year and sold back to the Brohtalbahn. It was overhauled and repainted at the RhB Landquart Depot before being delivered back for its second career on the Brohtalbahn.

I found this video showing its departure from Switzerland and its delivery to Germany....

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Brothalbahn? Whoops for a moment there I thought Gizzy had posted on the wrong forum

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was somewhat disappointed when LGB brought out the BB D4 DCC Sound rather than a maroon V51/2. But I bought one with the naive view that I would pick up a cheep red V51/2 to do a swop out of the mechanics. After understanding the difficulty of that I lost interest in my D4 and ultimately flogged it off via Glendale Jcn. In the end Piko brought out the Harz Kamel which my red D4 would have been used as.

The prototype is an interesting and at times confusing collective set of beasts having been bashed, regauged, regauged back moved around to different railways and even countries.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Been following its progress via Rhb face ache page. Not knowing its histroy at least my D4 can have a place on my set up.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Brothalbahn? Whoops for a moment there I thought Gizzy had posted on the wrong forum
Ah, your poor German pronunciation has let you down - the 'h' is silent :nod::nod:

But I get your drift ............ do you want to start one?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, your poor German pronunciation has let you down - the 'h' is silent :nod::nod:

I, for one, would be interested to know what sort of services are provided by the Brothelbahn.

David

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Should have gone to Specsavers Paul....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I, for one, would be interested to know what sort of services are provided by the Brothelbahn.

David
Currently a preserved line, but was kept open till relatively recently for a mineral called I believe Phonolith and may still in fact be moving it after closure of the loading area in 1995 due to complaints about dust but commenced again on new container wagons arriving x Spain in 1999. I visited sometime before that en route to Poland and had a part steam part diesel run on the line.

The line was pretty well the last one dumping minerals to boats on the Rheine and may still be using boat transport to move containers of the mineral. Much money was spent on diesels over the years with 4wheelers running paired on freight, the line was originally a rack rack railway though was converted to adhesion in 1934 when some of the upper line was abandoned leaving 1:20 gradients to contend with. Hence over the years some lumpy motive power has been required for the freight.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I would be failing in my duties if I did not post a Spanish one! I prefer the mock RENFE livery I used on my own one.
1701177780827.jpeg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would be failing in my duties if I did not post a Spanish one! I prefer the mock RENFE livery I used on my own one.
View attachment 321148
Is this the one with swap bogies for metre gauge, standard gauge and Iberian gauge?

There is what looks to be part of a wheel-set in the bottom right hand corner of your photo Martyn....

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the one with swap bogies for metre gauge, standard gauge and Iberian gauge?

There is what looks to be part of a wheel-set in the bottom right hand corner of your photo Martyn....

Indeed it is - the very versatile V51 903, photographed by Bernhard Günzl in Sep 2009 in Tarragona, at the works of COMSA, the Spanish track maintenance company.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Another video

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
I visited the Brohtalbahn earlier this year. It is correct that the line still carries the mineral Phonolith (hope I've spelt that right), but the freight wasn't running when we were there as a new bridge was required to link the railway with the quayside, the old bridge being demolished as part of a road scheme.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, new bridge is operational.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

German pronunciation? Same as as my French and Spanish. English but louder, I'm afraid. I get highly embarrassed trying to speak any other language, especially when I'm talking to a European who's English is better than mine. With my lifelong hearing problems, any pronunciation is difficult, so although I could actually read and write French quite well, my French lessons at school were the source of much hilarity and embarrassment