Brand New Member

mosquitorob

Registered
5 Nov 2016
Shanklin, Isle of Wight
Best answers
Hi to all you guys out there. I'm Rob and joined GSC last week. I did post an intro but I was in the wrong area of the site and I understand few members got to see it. I will repeat myself and hope that I get it right this time. Apologies to those few it did get to.
I have just, within the past 8 weeks built a system in my friend Dave's yard, our first venture into G scale and all that goes with it. The yard is approx 40ft x 18ft and the elevated layout goes where it can be managed. We have a continuous loop, reversing loop, triangle and three terminal points served by the main line. One has a run round loop and the other two have spurs with loco storage. Schematic later if I get to upload it correctly! Plenty of scope for interesting operation. All track is either Piko or LGB brass, 4ft dia curves, we would have preferred greater but ground space is limited. Our first stock acquisition was a Bachmann 'Silverado' starter set which dictated a wild west theme we're both John Wayne fans anyway! After years of OO/HO the set was certainly size impressive but perhaps a little 'toy townish' compared to more costly products. You get what you pay for! We lashed up a DC supply for starters, launched ourselves into our new dimension and were thoroughly satisfied at the end of the day's play! I had a long think about the electrics and the wiring demands from a single control point was scary to say the least. So DC/DCC was sidelined and we opted for radio control, got the bits from Norfolk, did the loco conversion and away she went. Best decision yet, I'm a retired radio engineer, so that helped. The second loco soon came along, a Bachmann 1:20.3, 2-6-0 Mogul. Once the surgery was performed, it was equally as impressive as the earlier 4-6-0 but threw up a scale issue which we haven't got to grips with yet. More on that at a later date. Third loco, a Bachmann Climax is truly outstanding in every respect. I'll report on all locos in due course.
I think that'll do for my intro, hope it is of interest and I look forward to any comments as and when. My attempt at uploading the layout scematic follows. If you see nothing, I've failed, for the time being anyway!! I'll have a go at putting up some pics if this freezing weather abates a bit and we can get everything set up
Cheers...

Attachments

• RR Scan for tx 09NOV16.pdf
    402.1 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome again Rob..
Plan works for me!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Think I was one of the few to spot your previous intro, Rob - but welcome again! ;)

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome again - don't worry about the size of the mogul - it's not a scale issue it's due to the size of the prototype that Bachmann allegedly copied.

I'll see if I can find the picture of the Skagway hulk ('tis on the other compooter).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It looks as if I binned my photo for being less than perfect - but this link gives a shot of the hulk, but not the scale.

Take it from me, alongside a WP&YR coach, it's a tiddler

http://www.yukonmuseums.ca/treasures/mbm/image/05/main.jpg

Banta Model Works in the US make a laser cut wooden cab to beef the loco's appearance up a bit :nod::nod:

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. they are mostly mad here except you and me!

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard, Rob - Interesting track plan. Yes, as has been said, those moguls were really small locos.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. Nice to see you have the decency to own and run a Bachmann Climax. If you want any tips on this loco, feel free to ask.

IMG_7269.JPG

We like Climax locos here in NZ.

006 (3).JPG

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Rob,

Like the plan, bit interested in the elevated part as that is on the radar for my future build.

Ask heaps of questions because there are a ton of experts lurking on here.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Rob....

mosquitorob

Registered
5 Nov 2016
Shanklin, Isle of Wight
Best answers
Thanks everyone for your welcome messages, Dave and I are very grateful for the encouragement.
Our first question is; As we're on the rookie forum, according to the regs, we're going to get booted out in 90 days, I think. So where and when's best to 'pop up' next?
Just for interest, our first batch of pics are attached, if I can get the thing to work! See you on the grapevine...cheers...
No, I'm doing something wrong! I'll work on it...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, this bit is really just for new members to say "Hi" and for the rest of us to welcome them.... for starting a permanent photo record thread on the buildup of your line, you really want the G scale Pictures or G scale Videos sections....

Jon.

mosquitorob

Registered
5 Nov 2016
Shanklin, Isle of Wight
Best answers
Hello again

Something went wrong with my first attempt to post pics so here's another shot.....

Rob

No, more research to do!!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice pics - and your getting the hang of this forums software - great.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
but have I succeeded??
Yes, If you can get any more of the Bachmann 20 foot wagons, they look pretty good behind the Mining Mogul. You may have to hunt for them, as they're not on the current Bachmann availability list.

mosquitorob

Registered
5 Nov 2016
Shanklin, Isle of Wight
Best answers
I agree the wagons look the part Rhino... I've looked all over for more but as yet, nothing. More would be perfect for our operation so if there are any, surplus to requirements out there in cyberworld, drop us a line.

In the meantime, check out the climax!!!!

Attachments

• SBHCMEXR014.JPG
    SBHCMEXR014.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
  • SBHCMEXR011.JPG
    SBHCMEXR011.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 0