Bachmann Connie split gear

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Well, my Connie after 7 years light use on my 4% grades has finally succumed to the split plastic drive gear :crying:
Checked with Bachmann to see if they could supply thier new ready axle mounted brass gear, part # G813X-AXELBG. Prompt reply, but no stock and no advise of when any stock might be available or sourced :mad:. But they did suggest I try Northwest Short Lines as they make a suitable part (via asking the Bachman where to find them).

I have e-mailed NWSL with a request for the part but I have seen on another site some concerns were noted as this was just another "push fit" plastic gear not the nice brass one Bachmann made to fix the prob'.

Any Centralistas with similar experiences and good advice how best to proceed ? I would not want to return for replacement under their "lifetime warrenty" scheme on both economical grounds and I rather like the bash I did on it.
ff0cc1952f424866acc0a756984bdf34.jpg

I have already found a site with a good tutorial on how to fix the problem once a replacement part is found http://elmassian.com/trains/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/bachmann-motive-power/connie-2-8-0
and http://elmassian.com/trains/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips/bachmann-motive-power/connie-2-8-0

Any further comments or advice on sourcing part or experinces with this issue ? back to you guys and gals.

Max.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Re:Bachmann Connie stripped gear

This is how mine ended up :(

But seriously though, I had no joy in finding help/parts. There was a guy in the States, but he no longer trading.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag

I think its made of delrin which is good enough

I want four and one of the smaller double gear

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers

one of my connies had a broken gear when it arrived. I think it was just a kind of stroke or shock that kiled the plasticwheel.
I wanted to hold the loco, so i didnt send it back and repaired it.

There is a metal wheel out of some "standard"-modelling-parts. U just have to open up the bore to the matching diameter. But this operation should be very precice to get the hole right in the middel of the wheel.
I bought on at "Conrad", a supplierof electronic and modelling parts here in Germany.
Dont know if Conrad is active in the UK, too.

So, just measure the diameter of the wheel and count teeth....and u will find a matching part.
The original plastic wheels are simply too bad (to weak).

Greetings

Frank

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
maxi-model said:
Checked with Bachmann to see if they could supply their new ready axle mounted brass gear... no stock and no advise of when any stock might be available.
Was this Bachmann UK or USA you tried? I ordered one from the US late last December "just in case", as my Connie locked up last year one time when I was running it. Cost about $18 including shipping. The gear arrived promptly and is stashed away in my stores. I've still not made time to strip the loco and check it over yet.

0a82739be19046bba0042e42d0ce5188.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've already decided, if my gearbox blows, I'll go for an ABC box. They may be £70, but they're the DBs :clap::clap::clap:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting responces
Coggesrailway - that should never be allowed to happen to a Connie. I shall have to report you to the RSPCC. Will the results here give you some encouragement to ressurect ?:mad:
Daveyb - Thanks, that gives me some confidence on the NWSL product now.:D
Coyote97 - Nice bit of lateral thinking. If I get stuck looks like a possible route :clap:
Nick - Bachmann US, might try the UK end. No gloating now.;)
Rhinochugger - £70 ! might as well get a 2nd hand Connie. Mind you their stuff does look the DB's. Which one and is it easily fitted in place of the standard item though ?:clap:
55.5 - Wut !:confused:
Surprised none of our US and antipodean friends have not responded to this one overnight.
Max.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
What is an ABC gear box...?

Yes I might resurrect her but for now she is a pleasant garden ornament. When track power is in use she still whirs aways so whilst the gears my be cr%p they are weather proof :rofl: . four winters now I think. In 2010 she disappeared under snow for 10 days. I ran my plough train and suddenly the connie snow mound started glowing!!

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
What is an ABC gear box...?

Yes I might resurrect her but for now she is a pleasant garden ornament. When track power is in use she still whirs aways so whilst the gears my be cr%p they are weather proof :rofl: . four winters now I think. In 2010 she disappeared under snow for 10 days. I ran my plough train and suddenly the connie snow mound started glowing!!
So faithfull, even in the deep snow in the depths of winter she struggles to make a contribution to your railroading happiness. If that doesn't grab yoou then you have a heart of flinty stone. Go on, she deserves a little TLC and another lease of life. BTW, ABC gearboxes, I think these are they
http://www.abcgear.talktalk.net/index.html

Ross, thanks for the info. Site bookmarked. The site with the tutorial has a picture of the NWSL item with its header card with what looks like all the relevent information regarding sizes, teeth, etc'. It's all Greek to me.
Max.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

The NWSL website is a bit complicated to say the least! BUT goto the following link and scroll down -

http://shop.osorail.com/category.sc?categoryId=90

Also if 'Mr Google' is consulted with the following search term there is a lot on doing it

'replacing gear in Bachmann Connie'

Yours Peter.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering how much effort is involved in stripping the loco to replace the gar as it looks quite complicated?

Given that the motor used by Bachmann is quite small I was wondering if fitting the tender with motor bogies might give more power, whether whole new motor bogie blocks or fitting Magic Carpet Ride motor units in the existing frames?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yippee ! :D It seems that Bachmann Europe (UK) has stock of the replacement part. Quick reply to my query with a Paypal money request, £9.50p inc postage. Just hope it really is the right part. Thank you Nick for mentioning the UK bit, I didn't think of that. Just assumed that US would be the place to go.

Looking at the tutorial it does not look too complicated, just a lot of screws. There is a trick to get the lid back on the gearbox that I discovered a while ago. I'll post the results as soon as I am done.

Hopefully this thread will provide some encouragement and usefull info to others with stationary Connies. Bachmann direct, NWSL and ABC or HPC gears all seem to be options.
Max

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
NWSL very much in business, just got a reply

Yes, this is a very common problem with that engine (the axle gear.) We machine our version out of solid US-made, pre-shrunk acetyl rod so this gear will last you. Thanks!
http://shop.osorail.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=2226-6 Here it s ready to go in their shopping cart
Might be able to source the others, Daveyb, through the request form link.
Max

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
I have had to replace the gear on mine and it is not such a difficult task. Just take your time and you'll be OK:)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are there copper brushes/wipers anywhere in the loco, there are on the tender? has one got misaligned?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Part arrived today looks like the correct one. Now just got to get down to fit it.
Max.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Max
I know that this an old thread but I have just come into possession of a K27 'Connie' bash done by the late 'woderwick' who used to be on this forum.
The motor spins but the gears are shot.
Did you replace your gear?
Is the motor gear brass?
Was it easy to get at the axle to replace it?
Woderwick (Rod Hayward) had customised the running gear, cylinder chest etc so that it resembled that of a K27 so I am hoping that disassembly of the rods will be as normal.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Max
I know that this an old thread but I have just come into possession of a K27 'Connie' bash done by the late 'woderwick' who used to be on this forum.
Is the motor gear brass?
Woderwick (Rod Hayward) had customised the running gear, cylinder chest etc so that it resembled that of a K27 so I am hoping that disassembly of the rods will be as normal.
Mike, I've just done two Connies.

The usual suspect is the gear on the axle. Bachmann in the US (Bachmann estore) do an axle with a brass gear.

It's fairly straightforward to change the axle but:

• There are lots of very small screws
  • You have to remove the motion from at least two other axles to be able to release the drive axle
  • The gearbox bushes will usually cling to the old axle with oil / grease etc, and you need to swap them onto the new axle.
It's not actually quite as bad as it sounds - no really :devil::devil:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Max
Is the motor gear brass?

That is an old thread. So old I cannot remember much of how it was done. Bachmann gear is brass and mounted on axle. Mind you don't loose any of the the little suspension springs. Have a tendency to pop out when you disassemble.

I had not realized "woderwick" had passed away. Or have I totally misunderstood you. A very talented builder/basher. Max

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Max and Ian (Rhino)
Yes sadly Rod (woderwick) has passed away, very suddenly it was.
He was a young lad of 61 too.

A friend and I went down to deepest Sussex on Sunday and bought all of the locos that his widow did not want to keep.
He had worked all of his bashes to achieve 1:22.5 scale locos from using Bachmann Annie or 'Connie' chassies.
My friend bought Rod's magnificent 2-6-6-2 bash created from 2 shortened 'Connie' chassies, and he bought a couple of other locos.

I decided on Rod's T19 4-6-0 (using an "Annie' chassis), a K27 (using a 'Connie' chassis) and an Accucraft Mogul 2-6-0 live steamer.
I have an Accucraft K27 but I decided to purchase Rod's bash to match my 1:22.5 scale Kiss K36 and the LGB/Aster K28)

Unfortunately the gears in K27 and the T19 are stripped. I already have one of the new 'Annie' metal geared boxes to go in the T19.
The K27 with the 'Connie' chassis will need a new metal geared axle and probably 'beefed' up gears from NSWL.
The motors and 'motion' rods etc move as smooth as silk (as you would expect from Rod), so it is only the common problems with the plastic gears which are at fault

Even with the 'problems' of the gears the bashes are so well done and the detailing so finely executed, that I do not mind having to 'tinker' with them to get them back up running again.

Here is a link to his blog site which details his main kitbashes.
http://www.gtrains.co.uk/

I will probably post this info on a new thread with some photos if you lads don't mind...

Here is the link to his thread on the forum where we was searching for dead 'Connie' chassis...it was for the beautiful 2-6-6-2 that he created!
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/dead-bachmann-connies.289928/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user