Bachman motor control settings using ESU 5XL decoder

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I just installed an ESU 5XL decoder in my Bachman 2 Truck Shay (upgraded trucks) but it is jerky at low speeds. ESU has a table of motor control settings but I need to know what motors Bachman uses. Options include Marklin , Fleischmann, Hag, Trix, Faulhaber, Piko, and Buhler.
Does anyone know which motor Bachman uses?
Has anyone installed an ESU 5XL in a Bachman Shay?
Thanks!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just installed an ESU 5XL decoder in my Bachman 2 Truck Shay (upgraded trucks) but it is jerky at low speeds. ESU has a table of motor control settings but I need to know what motors Bachman uses. Options include Marklin , Fleischmann, Hag, Trix, Faulhaber, Piko, and Buhler.
Does anyone know which motor Bachman uses?
Has anyone installed an ESU 5XL in a Bachman Shay?
Thanks!
I believe there is an option to let the decoder decide the best option. It from memory involves invoking a cv and letting the loco power itself to and from on a few yards of track. Notes on how to do it in the manual. I did it with my G1 Terrier with a similar decoder and whilst not perfect made the running so much better.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I've heard that option is about 50/50 as long as you don't run the engine off the truck. Still looking for specific CV settings.
Thanks.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
The automatic motor programming worked and the engine is now running smoothly.
The following settings were automatically updated in the controller:
CV Value
2 2
9 40
51 2
52 5
53 120
54 5
55 21
56 255
116 50
117 150
118 6*
119 6*

* I set 118 and 119 to 6 to reduce the motor sampling window. These were not automatically adjusted.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Have you removed all the electronics from the motor terminals? I can't remember which Bachmann loco it was, but I couldn't get smooth operation until i had bare motor terminals. There is the auto-tune function as described above using cv54 set to value 0. Then press F1 and the loco will fire off at full speed for 2 secs. Make sure you have the loco direction correct and there is enough track! If you read the cv settings back to the LokProg software, it'll be easier for making finer adjustments.

David Price

Registered
29 Jan 2024
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I recently finished a rebuild of a wreck of a Bachmann 3-truck Shay which was sold as C6 with radio control - turned out there were no track connections and the bits were loose in the coal bunker. The shop in the US did have the decency to refund US$150 towards a decoder.

It is now fitted with a LokSound 5XL decoder, a CVP Airwire CONVRTR-60X and a 14.8 LiIon 5 S/Hr battery - had its first run at the AMRA Glen Iris club track a fortnight ago and even though the antenna is tucked inside the water tank I was pleased with both the reception and the smooth running of the locomotive (it had also run on the rolling road at Sandown over the weekend of the show).

Program and soundfiles are the LokSound v5 Shay file with some minor modifications (the wiring includes an RCA plug that allows direct connection to a LokProrammer for changes to the DCC settings).

It is not quite finished - still has some detail parts to be fitted, custom decals and some more weathering but I'm reasonably happy with it as my first Fn3 project after working in 1:48 since my return to the hobby:

20240318_125302.jpg

Reactions: 1 user