Aristocraft Class 66 loco and DCC

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Can anybody recommend a DCC system to use with the Aristicraft Class 66 loco, I'm also looking for a decent sound system that will link up with DCC without any problems.

Anbody got any experience? good or bad.

Thanks
Andrew

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
When you say "DCC system" do you mean decoder or a complete control system?

I can't comment on sound decoders/systems as I haven't fited one to mine. I would imagine a QSI Quantum Aristo would be the obvious "plug and play" option for a combined sound and motor decoder, assuming an appropriate sound file is available?

If you go for the normal "plug and play" option of a Digitrax DG583AR decoder, there are do seem to be some minor annoyances with the directional lighting when using this decoder in this loco (due to the microcontroller chip used on the main board). I ended up doing some rewiring of the lighting to the DG583's auxiliary function output socket, bypassing the main board. I did write this up and post it, but it may have been on the old GSM site not here.

I'm sure some other folk have gone down the route of ripping out the existing board and wiring their own choice of decoder & sound.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I have fitted the QSI sound decoder to several Aristo locos. So long as it is a recent manufacture then it will have a "plug and play" facility that makes it a doddle.

However I don't think there is a Class 66 sound file so you may have to make do with something similar.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have done a battery R/C sound installation in a class 66 using Aristo's Revolution R/C coupled to a Phoenix sound system with a specific British class 66 sound file.
Not the cheapest option, but that was what the loco's owner wanted and the result is very impressive.
If you chose to go for this system I suggest a Phoenix P8 and a basic DCC decoder of your choice for traction motor control.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/products/p8.html