Any advice on vinyl lettering?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
You might have seen in another thread that I am now the proud owner of a cutting machine. My first project is to cut out self adhesive vinyl lettering in various sizes for my goods stock. I know some of you have experience with this stuff. Can you offer any advice? My greatest concern is making sure it says stuck-on. How do you stick it to a planked surface?

This is my first effort. I know the letters aren't level - it's just a trial run to check the cutter does a decent job. I'm awaiting delivery of some white matt vinyl so the the letters can be weathered more easily.
IMG_3126.JPG

Many thanks in advance

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think choice of vinyl (UV resistance) and a spray of matt varnish, will make a big difference?

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would look at automotive graphics vinyls, normally very thin, and they stay stuck, even to uneven surfaces as long as they are clean :)
Well the good ones do ;)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I would look at automotive graphics vinyls, normally very thin, and they stay stuck, even to uneven surfaces as long as they are clean :)
Well the good ones do ;)
That's useful info, Jim, thanks. I'll search out some sources.

Rik

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
This is what I've used in the past on my inkjet printer:

Don't know how the price compares to alternatives. There are some examples of the finished items on my Orient Express thread. There is no residue left on removal. but it does stay fixed with no 'lifting'. I've also used it on the car, furniture and motorcycle with good results. A matt spray is available to give it a more durable finish but even without I have been pleased with the outcome as it 'weathers' itself.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You might have seen in another thread that I am now the proud owner of a cutting machine. My first project is to cut out self adhesive vinyl lettering in various sizes for my goods stock. I know some of you have experience with this stuff. Can you offer any advice? My greatest concern is making sure it says stuck-on. How do you stick it to a planked surface?

This is my first effort. I know the letters aren't level - it's just a trial run to check the cutter does a decent job. I'm awaiting delivery of some white matt vinyl so the the letters can be weathered more easily.
View attachment 309064

Many thanks in advance

Rik
I used to work for a Builders Yard that did vinyl lettering on tea and sweat shirts. The design was cut out then heat pressed to the shirts in a sort of trouser press. Not a lot of good for us but I wonder if a quick blast with a Hair Dryer might do the job, experiment in some waste first! As for getting the lettering into planks, perhaps pressing in with a scriber will work.

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you spot a signs/graphics shop, in your travels..
You could always stick your head through the door, and ask if you can have some offcuts, cheaply?

I find offering to pay, gets at least your request listened too..
Even a couple of quid for tea kitty, is often enough.

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
As regards planking, I've found that when applying printed labels to wagons running the edge of a thumb nail up the grooves depressed the label in enough to show the planking through without tearing the label.

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
If you want the vinyl in the grooves between the planks, then you need to use the right type of vinyl, otherwise it will just keep lifting from the grooves. Cast vinyl is the best type to use, so check the specification of what you're buying. The majority of the cheaper vinyls are calendered types, most will last well for your use, but they don't conform so well to contours and are likely to lift from the grooves even if they initially appear to stick down well.

G.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Can you offer any advice? My greatest concern is making sure it says stuck-on. How do you stick it to a planked surface?
The design was cut out then heat pressed to the shirts in a sort of trouser press. Not a lot of good for us but I wonder if a quick blast with a Hair Dryer might do the job,

I got someone to cut me some freight wagon lettering in vinyl "as a favour", so I don't kno w what kind of vinyl was used, but I had no difficulty applying it to planked wagon sides of models in both plastic and cardboard, using a thin blunt tool to press it into the grooves straight away. Not overcoated with anything. Still there ten or more years later. While mine were gloss vinyl, the gentle use of wire wool took the shine off.

In commercial operations, the vinyl is often applied to a surface previously sprayed with water. This allows the vinyl to be slid around until correctly aligned, and then the residual water "squeegied out" (from the centre outwards, of course). I'm sure this would be "overkill" for our sort of applications.

To the best of my knowledge, the "vinyl" used for garments is a different thing altogether, relying on heat to bind it to the (porous) fabric. I'm pretty sure that the removal of vinyl lettering from vehicles is made easier by the application of hot air . . . so the hairdryer idea might be counter-productive in our use of vinyl.

I'm currently looking for a company which can supply me with vinyl lettering (block capitals) as small as 5mm height. I found one online (before the pandemic) who gave me a good price . . . but they stopped responding to my emails (perhaps they realised how fiddly it would be for such a modest return).

All the best

David

Homo Habilis

Registered
16 Apr 2016
USA
Best answers
Country flag
You might consider G Scale Graphics as a source for lettering.

I have not used their lettering, but am a very satisfied user of their Rail Boss R/C control system.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In commercial operations, the vinyl is often applied to a surface previously sprayed with water. This allows the vinyl to be slid around until correctly aligned, and then the residual water "squeegied out" (from the centre outwards, of course). I'm sure this would be "overkill" for our sort of applications.

David
I put some of the one-way shading on my shed last year, this is a type of vinyl, and you spray a mild soap solution to position and as you say squeegee flat, works very well, and is similar to that used on cars and trains.

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
Instead of applying the vinyl to a model, I cut masks for painting. Most recent project.
1228222028.jpg1231221127.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
That looks like a stunning plan, also good for small lettering as I think you have shown?
Only the wheat logo is masked and painted. The white are waterslide decals I made. However, somewhat smaller lettering can be done with a mask as shown here on another project. The numbers are about 1CM tall. 0106201134.jpgP1000422.JPGProcor logo mask.jpg

Last edited:

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes very nice. I made my own stencil for my CP snow plow. Then used spray paint. Good enough but not professional

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_182946541.jpg
    PXL_20230120_182946541.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 0

manimal

Registered
12 Mar 2020
West Glocester, RI
Best answers
Country flag
Yes very nice. I made my own stencil for my CP snow plow. Then used spray paint. Good enough but not professional
You can reduce the bleed under by applying the mask then spraying a coat of the black to seal the edges before spraying white.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a Cricut Joy vinyl cutting machine just before Xmas for my g scale trains. You can find " permanent " vinyl rolls that are used for automobile decals, just search for Cricut vinyl.20221015_183410.jpg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a Cricut Joy vinyl cutting machine just before Xmas for my g scale trains. You can find " permanent " vinyl rolls that are used for automobile decals, just search for Cricut vinyl.View attachment 309259
Thanks folks. Very helpful info.
I've got both white vinyl and masking vinyl on order so will have a play with both to see which does the job best.
All good fun! :D

Rik