Another freelance Garratt

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Well, the end of the line. The green Garratt has now finally been completed and awaiting pickup by its new owner. He supplied the Massoth decoders (#8154001, with one in each drive) plus the LGB #65001 sound decoder. I had to remove the circuit board from the sound decoder casing to fit in the tender. The speaker is mounted in the firebox.

To readdress the LGB decoder I had to use an LGB programmer as the NCE was unable to change the address. The drives are matched for speed and the chuff synch is pretty good. On speed step '1' (out of 28 steps) the two start whistles sound then the drive moves off smoothly with no increase in the speed steps. I am extremely pleased with the performance considering it is a modified drive with the additional axle in each drive block.

It will negotiate down to 5 ft 6 in diameter curves on speed step '1'. This I feel is the minimum curve it will run on. The black Garratt in the previous posting will remain a shelf queen as I have no intention of running it or installing decoders. tjgga.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The new owner has posted a short video.

Reactions: 2 users

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Looking really good Tim nice one !!!:clap: Must finish my Garrett at some point saying that somewhere in the back garden is the LG &BR a lost railway !!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The new owner has fitted sound. This is just the initial installation and requires some CV tuning. I embedded the 70 mm speaker in the firebox with the diaphragm pointing forward so the sound booms down the boiler tube. Apparently the effect is very loud.

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Tac,
that is the stock Massoth Euro Mallett sound file.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The new owner sent me a video finally running the loco outdoors. I do like the sound. The Massoth 70mm speaker is in the firebox with the diaphragm reverberating down the boiler tube.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Great sound. Love it.
If you increase the breaking time, the break squeal as it stops will be better/longer. (CV4)

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Alan,
many thanks. I will advise him