Adding Digital Control and Sound to LGB 22630 Sumpter Valley #101 Switcher

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
This locomotive is equipped with a Direct Decoder Interface. My intention was to install an LGB 55021 motor decoder and a Massoth S sound decoder - a simple project. However, I have a penchant for being able to write and read CVs flawlessly without having to open up the locomotive again, and I wanted to be able to turn the cab light on and off independently.

I find that if both decoders are connected to the programming track at the same time, CVs can't be read reliably, and it is best if you can disconnect one while reading the other. I knew that I would require one switch to disconnect the sound decoder. I had originally thought that the multi-function switch in the cab would disconnect the 55021 from power, but it turns out this switch has no purpose once the decoder is installed - so two toggle switches were required. I couldn't just leave the 55021 plugged onto the direct interface board since there was no way to isolate the power to it. I flipped the 55021 decoder the right way up and made jumper cables to connect all the appropriate pins to the interface, except the track power inputs which I could connect to a switch. That turned out to not isolate the decoder either, and in the end I removed all except the motor + and - jumpers to the interface. To allow the cab light to be operated with function A1 of the 55021 I did had to snip the cab light wires at their connection plug on the interface board and connect them directly to the decoder function outputs.

In retrospect it would have been simpler to remove the decoder interface entirely, but I really like the way the motor block plugs directly into the interface from underneath on this locomotive.

I'm sure others would have found much better ways of doing this, but I'll document what I did in case some of the ideas are of any use. In particular: (1) a custom, low profile speaker housing, which tucks nicely into the cab ceiling; (2) location of two toggle switches mounted on the "hump" in the cab with a custom 3d printed saddle; (3) a good way to connect a jumper wire to the sockets on the decoder interface (I tried making pins to go inside the sockets, but they were wobbly - an external "collar" is much better!, and; (4) 3D printed riser block to mount the 55021 above the interface board and Massoth S decoder.

Here are instructions to open the locomotive:

To remove the motor block:

- remove the very back screw and the second from front screw of the motor block underneath - the motor block will drop down and unplug from the interface board.

To remove the hood:

- undo the four screws (two on either side of the motor block housing underneath) - easier done with the motor block removed.
- with the locomotive the right way up, very gently pry the long rails along each side of the hood up to release the lugs which are press fit into square holes.
- turn the railings outwards towards 90 degrees from the hood to unhook them from the cab. The railing has a short 90 degree bend on the end to retain it to the cab (hint: if you look inside the cab you can see the railing ends to check their orientation).
- carefully pry the two front hand rails outwards at the top to remove the top ends from the holes next to the radiator (use a plastic tool to help pry them out if they don't come out easily).
- keep the hand rails gently pried apart to prevent the ends from scratching the hood.
- lift the back end of the hood up a bit and slide it slightly forward, then lift it clear of the chassis.
- the wires from the front headlight can be unplugged from the interface board so that the hood can be set aside.

To remove the cab roof:

- carefully remove the 4 tiny screws (2 at the front and 2 at the back). They are easy to lose!
- the cab roof should lift off

PICTURES BELOW:

Here is the 3D printed speaker housing that fits around the magnet for a low profile:

20220212_183247.jpg

Speaker housing mounted to roof (a tight friction fit between the beams:

20220212_183220.jpg

Here is the 3D printed "saddle" to mount two toggle switches on the "hump" in the cab:

20220211_202953.jpg

Here are the toggle switches mounted on the "hump":

20220211_204126.jpg

Track power to the toggle switches, soldered to back of motor block connector of direct interface:

20220211_183716.jpg

Position of dip switches and "collars" used for jumper wires to interface board:

20220212_180657.jpg

How I made the "collars":

20220212_180806.jpg

3D printed "riser block" to mount 55021 above interface board and sound decoder:

20220211_183622.jpg

"Riser block" mounted to frame:

20220211_184243.jpg

LGB 55021 mounted on riser block using Massoth PCB bracket:

20220211_202842.jpg

Wiring complete:

20220212_215735.jpg

View of speaker and housing in cab:

20220213_215706.jpg

All back together again:

View of toggle switches in cab:20220213_215542.jpg

20220213_215728.jpg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
While this may be too late, I just use a single decoder that does everything in my LGB davenports. A single motor LGB engine can be upgraded to DCC with the Zimo MX645P22 for $100. go to zimo.at and check the specs on this HO decoder which has a 30 volt spec and more than that for a voltage spike. Current is 1.8 amps with a 2.5 amp surge limit. Also you can trim the radiator grill and mount a 2 inch speaker behind it for the speaker. I control smoke, 2 uncoupling Kadee servos (standard Kadee with a jewelerey chain connected to a servo, less than $20 total to install front and rear uncoupling).

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
While this may be too late, I just use a single decoder that does everything in my LGB davenports. A single motor LGB engine can be upgraded to DCC with the Zimo MX645P22 for $100. go to zimo.at and check the specs on this HO decoder which has a 30 volt spec and more than that for a voltage spike. Current is 1.8 amps with a 2.5 amp surge limit. Also you can trim the radiator grill and mount a 2 inch speaker behind it for the speaker. I control smoke, 2 uncoupling Kadee servos (standard Kadee with a jewelerey chain connected to a servo, less than $20 total to install front and rear uncoupling).
Thanks Dan,
I still have 2 others (2063 and 23620) that I will eventually digitalized so I will keep your suggestions in mind for those ones.
Cheers!

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A single motor LGB engine can be upgraded to DCC with the Zimo MX645P22 for $100. go to zimo.at and check the specs on this HO decoder which has a 30 volt spec and more than that for a voltage spike. Current is 1.8 amps with a 2.5 amp surge limit.
According to the Zimo web site, the MX645 can provide 1.2A (max 2.5). That said, the LGB 55021 is only rated for 1.2A also.

Is there any particular drawback to using a 1.2A / 1.5A decoder (such as the Zimo MS450 or MX645, or the ESU LokSound 5) to power a smaller (single motor, 2 axle) LGB engine, vs an "L" decoder with 3A (ESU LokSound 5 L) or 4A (Zimo MS950)?

I've seen people saying nominal power draw for the Buhler motors is 1A, but if it starts labouring up a hill with a heavy load is it going to blow out my decoder?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In my experience, you should be fine..
IF:
You do not have a really worn motor, or gears in the loco.
Your track formation is sensible, for curves/gradients.
You don't create overly long formations of vehicles.

Also worth checking the axles on your stock run freely, and are in gauge.

PhilP

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Phil that in the conditions he notes you should be fine.

However I would use the Zimo MX635 which is rated at 1.8A with a peak of 2.5A rather than the MX645 which is rated at 1.2A with a peak of 2.5A

I've just put an MX635 into a Bachmann 4-6-0 and it again is working really well.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag