trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
To increase pressure screw clockwise to reduce pressure anti clockwise and to quote Tony

A boiler empty of water cannot explode, no matter how hot it gets. It may well be damaged though.

Shaun

To any of these model steamers have a fusible plug fitted? Just wondering;)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes - the whole end plates are silver soldered in place! eek!

Reactions: 1 user

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I believe someone tested a RH boiler to the point to failure (hyd test, not under steam) and it was in excess of 190lbs of pressure if not over 200.(been awhile since I read that article). SO there is a huge safety factor in these. I know plenty of engines in the USA that have that up rated safety in them and there have been no issues that I am aware of. The weeping safety, starting as low as 20-30psi, is my one complaint with the RH line. A safety that blows off at the designed 40psi, then snaps closed smartly is what is needed and not hard to make. That would be my one suggestion to Rodger, to redesign the safety valve they use blow off at 40psi, or whatever pressure they want, then have it snap closed as quickly as it opened Not weep steam so you have a trail over the train the whole time you run. That is wasteful of steam. If the valve operated better, there would be no market for aftermarket ones. Otherwise, I absolutly love the brand and models and plan to order one(hopefully) next summer. Mike

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I will watch her real close next time I steam, if it really near 60, I will adjust it down a bit. I think its more like 50 if my memory of what the gauge read the last time I ran. And, yes, I do try to run without the safety lifting much. With the tank in the cab roof(like a Merlin loco), it gets quite hot since heat rises. I find I have to back the gas down atleast twice during a run as I will get it to where I can barely hear it, and a few laps later, the burner is roaring again(yes I have excellent hearing, a bit to good at times!). Hopefully I will be able to afford the Slomo soon, I have been talking to them via email. They have someone that is in the process of fitting to a Fowler down in Australia right now but they haven't heard back yet.. I may get one anyways. Looks like the assembly rides on the rear and middle axles on the Lady Anne pictures. I haven't had time to watch the install videos on youtube yet. Mike