45mm gauge 3D printed industrial loco

Peter Michalak

Registered
27 Nov 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
The chassis kit finally arrived yesterday, so I spent an enjoyable half an hour assembling the chassis kit on the couch, under the aircon (its currently in the 35-39 degree Celsius range here). I then took the loco outside and gave it a test - so far so good it seems - the chassis is sitting slightly high at one end, so that's a job for this evening.

Then I'll need to find somewhere to put the batteries.

Reactions: 1 user

Peter Michalak

Registered
27 Nov 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
With wiring now complete, No.12 was put through its paces last night. Load trials showed, that the loco can happily haul 4 x LGB Field Railway carriages - and could probably do more, if I fit more lead to the loco.

Reactions: 2 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work - and it looks great trundling around at a reasonable pace!

seigezapf

Registered
28 Oct 2015
Southern Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
Nice videos.

I'd like to figure out couplers to pull a couple cars like yours. Maybe link and pin. The end plates look to be set up to accept some sort of coupler, though the slots are pretty narrow.

Here is my attempt. I used the drive from a Lionel handcar, so I had to resize all of the parts to get it to fit and significantly modify the base. All and all it came out OK. It was a fun project.

Reactions: 4 users

seigezapf

Registered
28 Oct 2015
Southern Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
You can file down the shaft of a coupler and drill a small hole in the end. The shaft will then fit in one of the slots of the end piece and can be secured by dropping an M2 (I think) screw into the top hole. Probably not real strong, but I believe enough to pull a car or two.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I constructed a couple of these locos from Thingiverse a couple of years ago and have just got around to writing a blog post about them

For one loco, I used the recommended IP Engineering Budget chassis, but for the other I used the chassis member included with the kit and added IP Engineering bushes, wheels, gears and motor.

IMG_1846.JPG

I managed to squeeze two 14500 (AA sized) cells and a Deltang Rx65b into the control panel (included with the modified version of the kit - Modified 16mm scale Diesel Loco - 32mm gauge version by clarionut ). Running as a powered pair, they quite happily handle a loaded ore train of eight LGB skips, plus gunpowder van plus brake van up my 1:40 gradients. One might have achieved it if I could have found somewhere to add more weight.

Nice little kit.

Rik