What Is This ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a used heartland gondola and this came with it. It is definitely a steam sound module. However, I'm not sure how it works other than making a whistle sound when I pass a magnet by the reed switch which protruded from the bottom of the car. The reed switch doesn't show in the photo. In the second photo, just beyond the upper right corner of the gondola you will see a two pronged male plug. If I touch power to these a single chuff is heard.

IMG_7006.jpegIMG_7008.jpeg

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If you connect the 2 prongs together, do you get a chuff? Is it as simple as needing to fit another reed switch - or possibly an ir sensor, with a magnet or slotted disc to the loco motion, so that movement of the loco triggers the audio?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think your '2 prong connector' was to a chuff-cam in the loco pulling the gondola. - Just not enough room in the loco.

PhilP

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If you connect the 2 prongs together, do you get a chuff? Is it as simple as needing to fit another reed switch - or possibly an ir sensor, with a magnet or slotted disc to the loco motion, so that movement of the loco triggers the audio?

When I touch the power leads to each of the prongs I get a chuff. I believe PhilP is on the right track. But then, where do I connect the power ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I touch the power leads to each of the prongs I get a chuff. I believe PhilP is on the right track. But then, where do I connect the power ?
Ok, reed switch is one side of the power link.

So power could go to the red on your plug, black via the reed switch to return of the power supply. You can test it out by touching a magnet to the reed. You then need to mount the reed near the wheel and have probably 2’ 3 or 4 magnets on the wheel that make the reed contact work. This will give you your chuffs, some experimentation clearly required to get the right amount of chuffs per loco wheel revolution to match the smaller wheels of the wagon. Test this out by placing magnets with blue tack before permanent glue application. You need 4 chuffs per revolution for a 2 cylinder simple locomotive.

Sorry if any of this is granny egg sucking but you did ask.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I fear you need to watch Emily Lloyd in the 1978 film 'Wish You Were Here' :mask: :mask:
Looks like a fun film to watch. By the way, the year was 1987.....:giggle:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, reed switch is one side of the power link.

So power could go to the red on your plug, black via the reed switch to return of the power supply. You can test it out by touching a magnet to the reed. You then need to mount the reed near the wheel and have probably 2’ 3 or 4 magnets on the wheel that make the reed contact work. This will give you your chuffs, some experimentation clearly required to get the right amount of chuffs per loco wheel revolution to match the smaller wheels of the wagon. Test this out by placing magnets with blue tack before permanent glue application. You need 4 chuffs per revolution for a 2 cylinder simple locomotive.

Sorry if any of this is granny egg sucking but you did ask.

Okay then. Through more experimentation in the mad scientist's workshop, I powered the sound system up again through the two prongs of that red male plug, but raised the voltage. Viola ! The chuffs are produced by the amount of power the unit receives, so no need for reed switches on the axles. The reed switch that is supposed to protrude from the bottom of the car is for the whistle.

I got the sound system and gondola for $53.00, delivered to the door.....:clap:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
It is definitely a steam sound module.
As it says "American Vintage Chuff and Whistle" on the top left corner of the RH board, I think you might be right! ;) The part number is on the bottom. Google never heard of this.

What was puzzling me was how you got any initial sounds without any obvious power source.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That unit looks like it is older than dirt, but it works so use it.