Weathering shiny metal?

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I am coming to the end of a Big Hauler bash, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a proven method of toning down the bright metalwork on the motion? I have a selection of paints and weathering products but am loathed to experiment if I can instead copy someone else's successful technique!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thin washes of acrylic paints work well for this type of weathering (although I don't think I've attacked loco-motion parts in this way.

If it's fairly thin, it tends to settle thicker and darker in crevices ................. if you get my drift.

If it's too thin, you can do it again a bit darker ;)

Remember that motion parts will only be greasy, not rusty or thick with dirt - that's partly why I leave 'em alone I think.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have two small jars of 'dirty thinners' - mainly water, and IPA..
One is predominantly black, the other brown-ish-orange-ish..

I have had some success with this, and being mostly water, you have time to wipe it off, and it collects in nooks and crannies..

It is 'free' as well!

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am coming to the end of a Big Hauler bash, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a proven method of toning down the bright metalwork on the motion? I have a selection of paints and weathering products but am loathed to experiment if I can instead copy someone else's successful technique!
I got a container of ‘Bisley Gun Blue’ which works quite well giving a darkish colour, certainly not blue. If you are comming next wednesday bring your loco and we can put some on.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I got a container of ‘Bisley Gun Blue’ which works quite well giving a darkish colour, certainly not blue. If you are comming next wednesday bring your loco and we can put some on.
Assuming it is not stainless steel, it does not take well. I use Birchwood Casey, and it is very similar to the rust removal product, and would turn rust and steel black (ish).

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have two small jars of 'dirty thinners' - mainly water, and IPA..
One is predominantly black, the other brown-ish-orange-ish..

I have had some success with this, and being mostly water, you have time to wipe it off, and it collects in nooks and crannies..

It is 'free' as well!

PhilP
Is that 0% IPA? :D

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
All but what they sell as 0%,I reckon?

There is certainly more 'body' in my jars!
:rofl:

PhilP
Now tht is proper tired drift, from locomotives motionsto a biologists lb in 7 moves :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget to thoroughly clean the motion to help the finish stick.

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget to thoroughly clean the motion to help the finish stick.
Given it all a gentle buff with alcohol soaked cotton bud and cocktail stick with kitchen towel - amzingly grubby, albeit tiny deposits.