Unknown sound board help

Kkrahulec

Registered
11 Oct 2022
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a Bachmann Ely-Thomas large scale Shay with sound installed. The sound card is an LGB 8.837010.12. All I can say for it is it makes sound. It chuffs standing still! The chuff count is nothing like a Shay. In an effort to find out how to adjust the parameters I find no information about the card or application.

It’s different than I expected to see when opening the locomotive. Much nicer and way more complicated. It has a 4 gang dip switch, an empty 2x3 pin header. Also a number of empty vertical pins.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_6265.jpeg
    IMG_6265.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6267.jpeg
    IMG_6267.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6270.jpeg
    IMG_6270.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 0

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a Bachmann Ely-Thomas large scale Shay with sound installed. The sound card is an LGB 8.837010.12. All I can say for it is it makes sound. It chuffs standing still! The chuff count is nothing like a Shay. In an effort to find out how to adjust the parameters I find no information about the card or application.

It’s different than I expected to see when opening the locomotive. Much nicer and way more complicated. It has a 4 gang dip switch, an empty 2x3 pin header. Also a number of empty vertical pins.

Ken
The pcb looks like a soundboard removed from an LGB loco, the sockets are for putting on an LGB decoder. It will never sound like a Shay as LGB never made a Shay.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The pcb looks like a soundboard removed from an LGB loco, the sockets are for putting on an LGB decoder. It will never sound like a Shay as LGB never made a Shay.
That was my thought, but if it had a sensor to get a chuff rate perhaps more magnets could be used to give a higher rate? But as for the chuffing when not moving…..could be that there is something missing or the way it has been wired in is all wrong.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Ken
I installed a Mylocosounf card into my Shay and after adjustment it rattles just like a shay should.
I removed the firebox flicker board and mounted it and the speaker in the ash pan right behind the steam motor for better realism.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure it is actually a chuffing noise & not the air pump puffing away when it is stationary?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like the whole electronics from an early LGB loco. Possibly a mallet.

The OP does not say whether they are Analogue or DCC. - Though if it chuffs when stationary, there must be a battery, or power (DCC?) on the track.

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like the whole electronics from an early LGB loco. Possibly a mallet.

The OP does not say whether they are Analogue or DCC. - Though if it chuffs when stationary, there must be a battery, or power (DCC?) on the track.

PhilP
If it is an old Mallett sound card there were lumpy capacitors that used to keep the sound going when stationary on Analogue. Worked well when dcc chips inserted as well, when you lifted the loco off the track sound carried on for near on a minute.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Since the connector only has 4 pins, (2 for DCC track power and 2 for just one motor) and the total length, I assume a Mikado board with DCC add-on capability.

Kkrahulec

Registered
11 Oct 2022
Arizona
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. I discovered what it was but have since forgotten. It is an old LGB. I pulled it and installed a MyLocoSound board. Now it does sound correct.