Stainz #3 with LS deco, power buffer, smoke, firebox light and Krois uncoupler

jose07

Modell trains -N scale, G scale- DCC Massoth
25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
Hello,
Most of you already know how to chip a Stainz loco, thanks to lots of information available in this forum (and previous one, GSM) and links to other pages. Anyway I would like to thank all of the members that contribute with information and share experiences, problems and solutions. Relative to the Stainz loco, my special thanks to Paul Stainzmeister/RhB (Master of Stainz locos) and also special thanks to Muns, who have help me out with CV programming and has been very kind to provide valuable answers in this particular case.

So let me this time share with you my experience in chipping this Stainz with all these features.

What I used
- Stainz #3 from a starter set, it has no electronics inside, the motor block comes with 4 connections, 2 for the track and 2 for the motor and the three lights (front, cabin and rear) are directly connected to the track voltage.
- Massoth LS deco with Stainz sounds
- Loudspeaker: Massoth 8241010, 57mm diameter
- Power buffer: Massoth 8151001
- Smoke generator: Massoth 8310201 (18v)
- Fire Box light unit: Massoth 8242060
- Uncoupler: Krois LGB uncoupler GBK

LS deco programming (again, thanks Muns :clap:)
The three lights are connected to the proper inputs as indicated in the instructions, CV50=26 (to dim a bit the voltage to the lamps); CV51=128 and CV52=64 (front and rear lights always ON in th edirection of travel)
I used three free outputs, in the instructions named as F1, F2 and F3, I will call them A1, A2 and A3 not to confuse with the F keys from the Navigator, assigned as follows:
A1: smoke generator, CV53=90 (dimming the A1 not A2); CV54=7 (F7 key); CV55=0 (steady on)
A2: Uncoupler, CV53=90; CV56=10 (F10 key); CV57=79 (3,75 seconds ON before going automatically OFF). Note that if the uncoupler is connected for more than 4 seconds the Coil bull burn.
A3: Firebox Light, CV112=32 (full track voltage), CV113=12 (F12 key); CV114=0 (steady ON)
Finally, there is a CV129=200 for the operating time of the power buffer in DCC (don't kno wthe units, range is 0-255)
Loudspeaker
I made a hole in the roof of the cabin and put the speaker in place, passing the cables, towards the deco space, through same place as the rear/cabin lights. The speaker is firmly secured with contact adhesive.
Power Buffer
I just cut the cables shorter than they were and weld them to the right deco pads. The only place to hide it (other than the cabin, where it would be visible) is behind the Cabin boiler, so I needed to cut out the plastic nerve inside that piece that acts as reinforcement. I also cut out two plastic corners of the main boiler, where it joins with the cabin part. One more thing, I stick aluminium foil to the top of the capacitor so to enhance the effect of the FireBox unit.
Smoke generator
nothing special, all you need is to fit it inside the chimney and pass the cables under the boiler towards under the cabin. I used a mini connector so that I can do the assembly of the bodywork and do the connection when adding on to the chassis.
Fire Box Unit
I used double side tape to secure it right behind the Cabin boiler switch openings (note that the loco has no switch), I also added aluminium foil to reflect the light, and a micro connector so that I can remove the chassis and the top part of the loco without cutting wires.
Uncoupler Krois
This element is easy to install, just replace the plastic hook by the Krois one. It comes with a coil that is activated through two wires connected to function A2. These cables have to be routed to the deco with very thin through holes made in the base of the chassis. Again, I used a micro connector to facilitate separation of chassis and the bodywork.
Let me say that I have no experience on how they perform in a layout (mine is under construction but I will show you soon how it is going) and your feedback will be appreciated.
Photos
1) Presentation of the body part with main elements, you can see the deco, power buffer and firebox lights (under the top of the buffer. The red/black wires are using one micro connector I mention several times.
cda0c1bfcd1c4e1fbe913393dd60e0b8.jpg

2) This photo shows the bodywork assemblied all together, the white plastic piece on top of the buffer is only to separate from the cabin boiler switch holes and make room for the firebox lights unit to fit.
93a256a4ae7f462d903f54581347ddb4.jpg

3) The loco assemblied all together, you can see the connector coming out of the central dome with wires coming from the deco and from the lights connected together.
d36d7dd8d4be482eb50a84a98b900438.jpg

4) Here you can see the firebox unit in action, there is too much light due to the flash but it is very visible and is associated to the shoveling sound.
5408223255064918a1abe8792c23b26d.jpg

5) These last three photos show you the Krois uncoupler, first how it is fitted into place, second is a side view of the uncoupler when is not activated, and third is the uncoupler when activated, the axis is released and the loco gets free from the wagon behind.

eea1042b7ef24d6497fffec1beb27c67.jpg

3735b233e27346d89a397137373c802b.jpg

2b2b17fa72d94ed5b0bf0cdcdf3b6475.jpg

This is all, I hope you find this interesting and useful information, do not hesitate to ask questions.
Cheers, Jose

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, glad to have been able to help.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Great job there! Where did you get the uncoupler from? Very tempting :D

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice work. At first i thought - that a fair bit of money to spend on a Stainz, but then I thought - good reliable runner, tough as old boots, looks good (even better with your additions). It actually makes a lot of sence. Love it.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Excellent item - really well constructed, and good photo's - Thank-you!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
The price of the uncoupler is the same at both krois and Grootspoor, but the postage is about £15 cheaper from Krois!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice install,

I'd be interested on upadates on how the couplers work out please.

I believe that they cannot be turned on for longer than 4 seconds at a time, and if they are there are possibly bad consequences. This fact rather put me off them.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
I believe that they cannot be turned on for longer than 4 seconds at a time, and if they are there are possibly bad consequences. This fact rather put me off them.

Jose covers this issue in post number one, and provides the solution.

jose07

Modell trains -N scale, G scale- DCC Massoth
25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
Thank you all for your comments,

With respect to Cliff question, indeed the uncoupler can not stay ON longer than 4 seconds.
To achieve that Krois offer a small timer chip (ZS1) that provides those 4 seconds connection before turning off the signal to the uncoupler.

This element (ZS1) is needed when you use decoders that do not provide a programmable timing function associated to the output functions, e.g. Uhlenbrok 77500. However, Massoth eMotion decoders allow to time program the output function, so in my case CV57 for output function A2 is the one set for 3,75 seconds activation.

Reviewing the Massoth LS manual-CV list, each function output has 3 CV's associated. These allow for dimming voltage output, asociation of the function to an specific F key and fixing a time related activation period (always ON, flashing ON/OFF 1/3-2/3 or 2/3-1/3, or specific time ON). With this it is easy to program.

Cheers, Jose