Regner Victoria

spamcan

Anything to do with railways especially narrow gau
24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
This is a question that the live steam experts will hopefully be able to answer!

I bought a Regner Victoria at the Exeter show a couple of weeks ago. When I tried to steam her last weekend she would not light and there was no hissing of gas. I thought it was a blocked gas jet and removed this and cleaned it with a burst of gas After re-fitting, the gas made a normal sound when the tap was opened. However the boiler still would not light and it seemed that insufficient gas was reaching the chimney. I removed and cleaned the gas jet again but no improvement. At this point I noticed that there was a collar at the cab end of the boiler tube (similar to a jubilee clip). This could be opened and slid over the two air holes. I did this and left a small gap. The boiler lit immediately and the loco ran with no problems. The instructions did not mention this, I just did it out of desperation! Why did this worK and should I cover the gaps completely?

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Its to adjust the airflow - slide it back and forth to get the best flame. Don't cover the holes completely.

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
Thanks Doug. I wish the instructions mentioned this, it would have saved a lot of frustration!

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Oooh, first one on the block!

Can we have photos and impressions please??? That little loco has an odd appeal.....aesthetically challenged, but I like it! :)

I have a book on the P&H with the only 2 photos known of Victoria, not a success in any shape or form!

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Glad you got it going in the end... are you glad you gave in to temptation now?

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
Hi Brian, Yes I am very glad! I am partial to Regner locos and their eccentricities. My Vincent also needed a bit of attention to the gas jet and also a good period of running in. Now it runs like a dream and I am expecting Victoria to do likewise. I will post some pics when the weather improves.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
The secret to Regners is don't have the gas too high when lighting.:)

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Like these better.

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Here are two videos of my Victoria, I am quite pleased with it. When i first opened the gas valve on mine I actually could hear the jet being plugged, then I had to clear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untR_9KsbSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfeMRkESaAU&feature=related

Thanks
Steve

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
What a sweeeeeeeeet loco. :)

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
What that needs is an 88mm barrell sticking out of it..............................

But I do like it strangley enough it's just ..............Well.............Odd!..........

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
I have a pile of work to do but sun is shining and the temptation to fire up my Victoria was too great. Here are a few pics

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
Last pic for now, I must go back to my work! My initial assessment of Victoria is positive. I have only run her twice and she will need several more steamings to run in. My Vincent needed about 12 and the performace improved each time. I still had problems in lighting Victoria, maybe the jet is partially blocked? She is a lovely slow runner and I look forward to steaming her again very soon

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the pics, your Victora looks really good, especially the last pic is my favourite.
regards
hobbyfossi

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Paul,
If the jet gets blocked again,try filling the gas tank with the gas valve open.The extra pressure in the can should clear the jet.Don't light it of course. :)

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
Thanks for that advice, Allan. I will try it if there are further problems

spamcan

24 Oct 2009
Near Crediton, Devon
Best answers
Hi Tac, There are two cylinders at the front of the cab