Painting coaches

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently bought couple of IP Engineering coaches to add to the ones I already have, and would like to paint them in a similar style. However as per the picture, painting the white panels after they were built was obviously quite a pain, but if I sealed and painted the bits before assembly, chances are the glue wouldn't stick properly. Any tips?20200926_170748.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could try Humbrol Maskol on where you intend to use glue then happily spray before assembly, touching up after removing the maskol. It apparently is thin-able with water but needs cellulose thinners to clean brushes if you do not clean them with water when still wet. I found that the cellulose was the only thing that properly cleaned brushes. When dry the stuff nicely peals of plastic, wood may need some experimenting before you commit.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
You could try Humbrol Maskol on where you intend to use glue then happily spray before assembly, touching up after removing the maskol. It apparently is thin-able with water but needs cellulose thinners to clean brushes if you do not clean them with water when still wet. I found that the cellulose was the only thing that properly cleaned brushes. When dry the stuff nicely peals of plastic, wood may need some experimenting before you commit.
I used Maskol for the first time a few months back, masking windows in a small loco from which I could not remove the glazing - my painting is rubbish, but the stuff certainly did the trick. :)

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, I'll try both suggestions.
BTW for some reason this thread has been posted twice, probably my fault, can they be merged?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
BTW for some reason this thread has been posted twice, probably my fault, can they be merged?
You can delete a thread of your own posting.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
On my 7mm scale Caledonian Railway two tone coaches I have used artist ink to almost fill the panels and then dry naturally over a few days, far far easier than painting.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Copied from the "other thread" - I use a thin masking tape laid on the coache's sides to mirror the overlays, slightly less than the width being painted. Do not paint the reverse of the overlays. After removing the tape I then place a bead of glue along the unpainted lines. Then clamp/press the painted overlays to the main body. No worries of glue lifting or delaminating paint layers. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I didn't want to delete one of the threads as there were good answers on both, and in future someone else my be doing the same painting.
Dayffd, I hadn't even thought of using anything but paint,( my other coaches are actually painted with emulsion from match pots. Seems to have worked OK, but ikeep them dry) I'll have to try it out.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I had a good look at the coach kits last night, unfortunately the fret widths are so small, it's going to be all but impossible to put any sort of masking on them, so it looks like a steady hand will be required