Moss

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
Just some macro closeups of the moss growing along my line.
The entire gardens become quite mossy and green now, I didnt think moss would grow in my garden but now that it obviously can Ill be adding peat to the ballest mix whenever I lay track in the future.

The ends of these sidings have the best moss but its visible pretty much everywhere now.
BONUS: Rusty wagon

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I saw a you tube video on propagating moss. Too simple, harvest it while its growing, wait till wife has left home, throw the moss into a blender with some water, puree it to a "Moss smoothie" then pour it where you want it to grow, keep it damp and in shade until it starts to grow the gradually increase the sunlight.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
It's odd how moss will grow where you would not expect it to. I like it when it grows between the rails and ties, as it has on sections of my line. Better than ballast in some areas.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I saw a you tube video on propagating moss. Too simple, harvest it while its growing, wait till wife has left home, throw the moss into a blender with some water, puree it to a "Moss smoothie" then pour it where you want it to grow, keep it damp and in shade until it starts to grow the gradually increase the sunlight.

Do not use Tap Water, it can kill off the Moss. Use Rain Water, even more trouble with the Trouble and Strife!
JonD

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone who wants it can have my moss :) If like me you have too much pour salt over it and use a brush to spread it and work it in , but bear in mind where the run off will go where it rains :-\

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
garrymartin said:
Anyone who wants it can have my moss :) If like me you have too much pour salt over it and use a brush to spread it and work it in , but bear in mind where the run off will go where it rains :-\
If you dont want the moss sprinkle (very sparingly) it with copper sulphate that you have borrowed from your copper plating supply....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a 12" to the foot shed with a mossy roof problem..
A couple of lengths of copper from some spare 'twin & earth' mains cable loosely twisted together, and strung along the top edge will cause enough copper run-off to control it.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Also washing powder - good for killing the moss on block paving at least!

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Pauly said:
Just some macro closeups of the moss growing along my line.
The entire gardens become quite mossy and green now, I didnt think moss would grow in my garden but now that it obviously can Ill be adding peat to the ballest mix whenever I lay track in the future.

The moss grows well on my track, but I did not use peat, just sand & cement mix added dry, sculpted to shape & lightly tamped. Then sprayed with mist of water & allowed to set. ( In this torrential rainfall I would have covered it to protect it from washout!!!! )
Moss has grown enthusiastically!!

Weathering nicely there Pauly

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
PhilP said:
If you have a 12" to the foot shed with a mossy roof problem..
A couple of lengths of copper from some spare 'twin & earth' mains cable loosely twisted together, and strung along the top edge will cause enough copper run-off to control it.

As long as its not galvanised roofing, that would lead to disaster....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
As long as its not galvanised roofing, that would lead to disaster....
Agreed..
I was thinking of felt, or a corrugated board (asbestos, or bitumen based) NOT a dis-similar metal!!

Bi-metallic corrosion is a documented phenomena..

Many moons ago, one of the 'electronics' mags did a home-brew TV aerial.. They used copper water-pipe for the main spar, galvanised steel mesh for the reflector, and aluminium section for the elements.
When it got wet, it created a 1.7V battery with enough 'oomph' to blow the fancy new (FET I think) front-end of Grundig TV's. - Whoops!! :mad: :eek: ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Many moons ago, one of the 'electronics' mags did a home-brew TV aerial.. They used copper water-pipe for the main spar, galvanised steel mesh for the reflector, and aluminium section for the elements.
When it got wet, it created a 1.7V battery with enough 'oomph' to blow the fancy new (FET I think) front-end of Grundig TV's. - Whoops!! :mad: :eek: ;)
Hm I wonder if that would work for running LED's in my Station Buildings?
JonD

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Try an iron nail and a piece of copper wire in a pot of damp peat, and see how you get on..

It is only Jon (in NZ?) who could tap into lemons directly!!
;) :D

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
PhilP said:
Try an iron nail and a piece of copper wire in a pot of damp peat, and see how you get on..

It is only Jon (in NZ?) who could tap into lemons directly!!
;) :D
I seem to recall that Peat is a good preservative, they dug a guy out of a peat bog ( he was named Pete Moss) who was centuries old and preserved perfectly if a bit tanned....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Like it!!

Tanned, as in leather! <snigger>, don't you love the English language!? ;) :D :happy: