Model Town E.B.M semaphore signal

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Hi to all. This is not an in-depth review - just a photo, video and a few comments. If you've not seen this signal yet click here (http://www.ayanami.co.uk/test/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=398 ) and find probably the cheapest working British outline signal kit out there! I shouldn't be the one writing this as I was pointed towards the product by the Fat Controller (cheers Steve) who bought one and built it to demonstrate it to me and I was sold (two in fact). The signal post is wood (basswood I think but I'm not sure). The signal arm, base, counterweight, post finial and lamp are resin and there is a length of wire to connect arm with said weight. Also supplied are coloured lenses. The arm is lower quadrant and is only available with a squared off end to give a home board (I'm hoping Model Town produce alternative arms) but those amongst you with a suitable saw could easily make this into a fish-tailed distant signal should you desire.

017ad25768474726bbd3d1234d181566.jpg

The difficult part for me was the painting :'( , but at least it was all pretty basic. Matt white on the post with matt black on the base. A little brown acrylic around the lamp and the rest (as per the photo) was gloss black, white and red.

The base includes a fastening point so that the signal can be secured in the 'off' position but I wanted it to work so the idea is to attach to a point operating lever using fishing wire and pulleys (I'll let you know how I get on) so it was important to me that the counterweight did its job. To this end I drilled out the round part with a 6mm drill and inserted a small amount of wrapped and squeezed roofing lead I had available.

The kit comes with coloured lenses (three of each colour) and, of course you only need one of each, but as Steve pointed out the others make good spacers/washers between the signal post and the arm and counterweight.

I drilled out the resin signal lamp and inserted a white LED.
Now that one sentence makes it sound easy but that was probably the most difficult part of it all and when (if) I do it again I might have to think differently but I was trying to make a neatish job realising that it would be a little overscale. The wires protrude from the bottom of the lamp and I joined two yellow plastic drinking straws together to channel them down the signal post to the base where they will enter my cable trunking to the nearest location cupboard where the positive terminal will have a 300 ohm resistor attached in series.
The only thing left to do is paint the straws to disguise them a little and (maybe) add a ladder for the poor old lampman (been there, done that &o )

Now (for me) the best bit. Click here for a short video of the signal in action using the patented signal operating finger 8D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGIyIDFyNk

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Re:Model Town E.B.M semaphore signal

Hmmmmmm. Interesting. I could do with a couple of those, though one really should be a double. :thinking:

Thanks for that Ade.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Very good. Has distinct possibilities.

Thanks for that.

A thought occurs that a number of these could be powered by a garden lighting solar panel with the associated LEDs - then they'd be on whenever it was dark. Just popping off to the garden centre.....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

I like those!
Can they be built as upper quadrant?

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

KeithT said:
I like those!
Can they be built as upper quadrant?

I don't see why not. The arm would have to fitted upside down and back to front and the counterweight would have to be the opposite way round but I'm sure that would be achievable. I might try it with the next ones just for a bit of variety.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

One thing I did add was a small brass pin to act as a stop so that the arm cannot go beyond the horizontal when it returns to danger (it can just be seen on the left hand signal in the photograph). I also had difficulty securing the red and green lens in place. They are a tight push fit but not tight enough to stay in place and I spent a happy twenty minutes or so trying to find one that 'pinged' out and disappeared into the organised mess that is my workbench :mad: . I solved this one inadvertently when I tried to put the tiniest amount of Zap A Gap CA into the recess and, sure enough, flooded the space with lens in situ. To my relief the glue dries transparent so I stuck the rest using the same ham-fisted method :clap:

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

Just a quick photo to show what the signals now look like with the yellow drinking straw painted to disguise it a bit. Steve the Fat Controller suggested what may be a better method though - use two joined wires off a ribbon cable and attach them to the back or side of the signal and then paint to disguise. It would probably end up as a neater job. I'm going to try that method on the next one I build and if it looks the business convert the two I've already built.

7693bbb60f0d421bb97f52dcc97ab028.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

adeshers said:
Steve the Fat Controller suggested what may be a better method though - use two joined wires off a ribbon cable and attach them to the back or side of the signal and then paint to disguise.
images

That's a good idea, an alternative, if you have a larger base, is to rig the wires away from the post to resemble stay wires or a ladder.
Personally I prefer the counterweight to be parallel with the track rather than at right angles, maybe you could build the next kit that way and compare them.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers

Something to bear in mind. UQ signal arms are a totally different shape to LQs as the lamp is on the other side of the post i.e. on the opposite side to the track (with a lineside signal). The two spectacles are in line with the arm. and the pivot arm wants to join the arm somewhere above the red glass but the pivot point is somewhere above the green glass. Thus pulling the signal lever pulls the arm down and lifts the signal arm. Sorry I haven't got a picture which would show what I mean more clearly - expect someone will oblige.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

You're right of course, Giles. You may be able to come up with a working upper quadrant with the bits supplied but it would probably look odd / quirky - but then again some of our fellow forumeers might like it that way ;) :D

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

Just a thought but if the post was replaced with brass box section you could solder one leg of the led/ bulb holder to that and then have a insulated single core wire to feed the other leg. Then at the bottom then solder another wire to the brass post and i am sure you can work out the rest...Also brass last longer than wood:clap:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

Your sig is brilliant

Ade - Chief Cook & Bottle Washer of the Yet To Be Named Railway
Green = Go. Amber = Go Faster. Red = How the hell do you expect me to stop at this speed!!!
;)

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

Steve said:
Your sig is brilliant

Steve, you embarass me :)

Thanks for all the kind comments and suggestions. I think anybody reading this thread could take the ideas away and produce a first class signal the way they want for their railway. It has certainly given me several ideas to incorporate into the next ones I make 8|. Cheers all. :D

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

It's taken time but the first signal is now in position (yet to be wired up though). I'm hoping I can get it to work via the junction points ahead - watch this space.
98835e78a7f04e9cb00a0cacedcebe96.jpg
57ae592220044fedb1767563e4443119.jpg

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag

very effective
a bit of white and red in the Vista