Massoth 8442090 novelty coupling 4 pack

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just a daft one of those I wonder if thoughts.

Has anyone bought one of these four pack manual shunt couplers, which are bascially the head of the newer dcc version minus the electronics.

Curious to know whilst they may well fit as a spare coupling heads for the newer version, and maybe something to have as a replacement if you should damage one.

In line with the above has anyone tried to see if they will fit and work on the older MK I version of the coupler.

Last edited:

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Just a daft one of those I wonder if thoughts.

Has anyone bought one of these four pack manual shunt couplers, which are bascially the head of the newer dcc version minus the electronics.

Curious to know whilst they may well fit as a spare coupling heads for the newer version, and maybe something to have as a replacement if you should damage one.

In line with the above has anyone tried to see if they will fit and work on the older MK I version of the coupler.
I have fitted them to most of my locos, LGB Bachmann, Aristo, USA trains and Piko without any problems, so much more easy to uncouple especially where two hooks are in place as it lowers both hooks, not sure what you mean by asking about MK1 couplers, as I have a number of older loco maybe I have changed them successfully.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The Mk1 version of the dcc coupler, as per the link below.

The newer dcc version has a different electronic gubbings set up, but it looks to have the same footprint as it were, just curious if manual set would fit onto the Mk1 drive.
Drive and screw fixing points look as if they may line up.

Source of spare parts incase of hook damage, rather than forking out and fitting a new unit if there is a mishap.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I tried the Kadee DCC uncoupler and did not like the fact there was only one basic version which will not fit many locos. So, I found that a piece of jewerly chain, servo (my decoder can handle 4 separate servos) and the right Kadee coupler that fits my engine. And my decoder will automatically when programmed properly via the push of one function key will reverse the direction, start backing while opening the coupler via the servo , and then pull forward. Now the choice is to close the coupler, or leave it open to (hump) the car, and then close the coupler.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted them to most of my locos, LGB Bachmann, Aristo, USA trains and Piko without any problems, so much more easy to uncouple especially where two hooks are in place as it lowers both hooks, not sure what you mean by asking about MK1 couplers, as I have a number of older loco maybe I have changed them successfully.
I believe MK 1 couplers had a metal spring instead of the current plastic variety

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Bumping this topic.

Managed to get hold of a pack of manual couplers.

The not so good news is that they will not fit and work as I had hoped on the older drive units, but all is not lost, the actual hook looks to be same as on the older version, so a potential replacement if I damage another one.
Plus let's face it I can use them as intended on rolling stock should I need to as well.