Lidl Dispaly Cabinet

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Just been down to Lidl to get one of their display cabinets, delivered in this week, Monday December 16th. As they say "when they are gone they are gone". Looking at other posts they would appear to be hardy perenials.

Cost £60 each or £110 for 2. They are self assembly, well packed but heavy. I needed some help from Lidl`s very willing assistants to get out of the shop to the car. Go when it`s not too busy. Box will fit in a SMART for 2, just, with the passenger seat down and the top edge of box resting on my shoulder (reading this Dunnyrail ?). Well, the SMART has an auto `box.

Construction is a mix of laminated chipboard (think Contiboard not real wood venneer), MDF and glass (all tempered 4 mm thickness ) with metal and plastic fittings. Internal size of cabinet 16.5 mm D x 64 W x 106 H. Note - glass shelves do not extend fully to front of cabinet, they are 12.5 mm deep, but are wide enough to accomodate 45 mm gauge stock. 10 shelves supplied in total with sufficiant supports.

The cabinet is designed to be both wall mounted and free standing. Fittings for both options are supplied. You may need to look at more substantial fittings than those supplied if wall mounting. Don`t even think of mounting it on a plasterboard stud wall heavily loaded, sound brick and masonary only IMHO.

Very good easy to follow line drawing instruction manual and contents checklist supplied. All small parts blister packed with # identification. A support website is listed if you have problems and it all comes with a 3 year warrenty. Everything fits and goes together well, no fettling required. I had it put together in just over an hour. Take care which way round you fit the doors up with their hinges. I was a little concerned that a couple of the main screws, fitting the base and top to the back did not screw down tight, pilots slightly oversize ? Also you will need a screwdriver with a longish shank to mount the door hinges to the frame. No short "dumpy" ratchet drivers then.

Shelves at 4 mm thickness showed a worrying deflection of over 2 mm with heavy short wheelbase live steamers loaded, so I doubled up on the shelves, which reduced the deflection to 1 mm. I`ll probably drill the backboard to insert extra supports, using the spares which all have rubber padded upper faces. Little tip with tempered glass, never tap it on a bare concrete or quarry tile floor. I made that mistake with an IKEA item a few years ago  :`( stuff shatters  into tiny pieces.

The glass doors are lockable to keep prying fingers away from you pride and joys. I would reccomend wall mounting if you have little terrors of both the two legged and four legged varieties. This cabinet will not be fully "dust proof", there is a 1/4" gap between the two doors

Overall a very good value item that looks as though it will last if not abused. I remember paying £30 for a simple small laminated chipboard 3 shelf bookcase from MFI 25 years ago so this looks a bargain in comparison now. This item is probably available all over Europe and it would not surprise me if this design is not available under different brand names where Lidle do not operate in the world. Keep an eye out for it
Lidl cabinet 002.JPG

Max.

Attachments

• Lidl cabinet 001.JPG
    Lidl cabinet 001.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 26
  • Lidl cabinet 002.JPG
    Lidl cabinet 002.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 17

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Loco's look very nice in the cabinets Max . Look very good value for money sadly no room for one in our house.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Max, I have been thinking of these big time. Had just bought some wood 2 weeks ago to make more shelves for my regular loco's so that they are near the back door. But was worried about these Lidl ones so decided to go the DIY option. But after your review, do I wait till next time cos I expect they will all be gone now. There were only 3 left when I went to Lidl on Monday. Never thought that they would fit in the Smart. Last time they were in I had the Galaxy, but that is probably Fridges by now. Oh well a bit of DIY is good for the soul.
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They do look nice. Whilst Lidl in Ireland do virtually everything as the UK, for some reason these display units are never on sale here.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Further to Max`s Comment kind on fitting these in his Smart Car. Sadly it won`t work in mine as it is a Soft Top and the Boot Opening is only Half of the Height. Anyhow in view of this I decided not to get one plus they are just out for size in the Location where I wanted one. I may still get one for the bottom of the Stairs in my House as I need somewhere for my Puffers, but may also just build another of these.

So I have been building, Varnishing and bashing B+Q Nominal 6x1 Planks.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now these are never going to look as good as the Lidl Ones. I also have to consider Doors. Plus it is obviously out of Plumb Top Right. I agonised over this and decided that I wanted it to Match the Door Surrounds. Obviously the Door at the Right is a tadge Shorter for some obscure reason. House Builders!!!!! I also need to investigate Varnish. the stuff I used was left by the previous owners so I naturally thought that it was what they had used on the Skirting. obviously not. so a bit more Barnish may yet be in order. On the plus side I have a Couple of Extra Roads on it. All secured into the Wall and Door Surrounds with 50mm Skrews. I have also Routed the Shelves so that there are Tram Tracks to Locate the Trains.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Max,
Aha there is a thought, Rare Earth Magnets to Hold Perspex Sheet with small bits of Tinpate attached as Dust Doors. Will give this some Grey Matter Time.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lidl Display Cabinets, back in store Thursday 22 December. Looks like only the Large ones this time H110 W68 D20 as reviewed by Max. £59.99 Wood Colour Max showed and White.
JonD

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the alert, I could do with another one of those to lose some more models into........(filled 3 of them already!)

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah they are good, I've had one in use for a few years now, and another one that I bought a while ago that needs finishing off and installing. Just need to find space in the house for it!

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Lidl a great place to buy a pint of milk, a loaf and a trombone all in one store................:)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lidl a great place to buy a pint of milk, a loaf and a trombone all in one store................:)
My local Corner Shop just 3 mins walk. Nowhere closer!
JonD

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
i think he might be getting confused with Toblerones!!!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
At least the last Toblerone I bought in Lidl still had all its teeth!

Reactions: 1 user

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
here's my shopping list for tomorrow...................

tomatoes
ukelele
bacon
set of bongos
2 tins of beans
angle grinder
mushrooms
telescope
kangaroo steaks
air compressor
cheese
raclet grill (to go with cheese)