Li-ion Battery Tester from Ebay

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I dont use Ebay , but did sign up to get two of these cheap Li-ion battery testers, works quite well, Lecky-techies please let me know if this is not advisable but using the charger socket to test this came to me while listening to the rain in bed this morning at 5am!

lion batt tester.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well it looks good to me, though I do need to make some alterations to my charge sockets as advised by PhilP PhilP of this parish.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a capacity checker not for individual cells.
I have one inside each of my lipo battery powered locos, just cut the LEDs off to stop current drain, when alarm sounds I know its time for a charge.
I also have my motor controller's low voltage detectors enabled; belt and braces.

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
cheap Li-ion battery testers,
I found the same units on Aliexpress for $0.60 each, (plus $2.18 shipping - got to watch these online sellers!) so I bought a half-dozen. The specs say they turn off the display after 10 secs and go in to low power mode, so they can be left in-circuit forever. We will see.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805780897331.html

Battery Monitor.jpg

My C16 tender with the unit wired in on top of the battery. [It's a retrofit so it is a mess!]

20230924_134859_tender-wiring1.jpg

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I found the same units on Aliexpress for $0.60 each, (plus $2.18 shipping - got to watch these online sellers!) so I bought a half-dozen. The specs say they turn off the display after 10 secs and go in to low power mode, so they can be left in-circuit forever. We will see.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805780897331.html

My C16 tender with the unit wired in on top of the battery. [It's a retrofit so it is a mess!]
awsom, I dislike FleaEvilbay, and only just signed up, dont get me started on another Aliexpress, ! lol, but interesting to hear you have this too, where in the circuit have you put it ? is that a direct bridge on the battery.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
but interesting to hear you have this too, where in the circuit have you put it ? is that a direct bridge on the battery.
It is across the battery but after the on/off switch. I haven't used the loco enough yet to see it register anything other than full! Was supposed to be running last Saturday, but it rained.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Those testers are good if you want to know the voltage.
Most chemistries have a linear decline in v when the cell/battery is used or charged.
This is no more than a handy onboard v meter to tell you a ruff state of charge(% full)

A tester is more like a testing board like a zb2l3.
A zb2l3 is a testing board to tell you how much of life is remaining in a cell after a full charge/discharge cycle.
By knowing the original (new) mah and knowing the mah what the cell has left after the discharge cycle.
This is the State Of Health.

For the use in a loco you can use 100% aka 2.8v to 4.2v, my sincere advice would be 3v to 4v range, 80%, speaking at cell level.

If having a lipo/li ion pack in 4s and its almost empty you have 12v it could be mistaking for a lead acid at 40-50% full.

Iwould say just keep the charge up after every run to the 4v per cell, and please keep the temperature of those cells above freezing point.
Or your next run will be very short due to empty battery.
For playing/charging below freezing point just buy (when you must replace) sodium ion cells.
When intending to leave them alone for more than 3 months, let your cells sit at 3.3v-3.5v

With best regards Igor

Reactions: 1 user