Country flag
That looks like good fun . Mark

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Most of you know I am Lgb through & through, but there seems a bit of a grey area regarding this decoder and the fitting of it, & changing of the cv's
Been investigating ESU who appear to have got it right , just plug in. Now how do I, if I go down this route access the 28 functions that this chip can deliver,with my Navigator. Yes I can select those that I want, & possibly disable others. Do I really want 28 functions it would probably take 6 mins to get the train out of the station. Your thoughts please

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
It looks like a lot of the higher functions are switch on/off and leave options Phil. You can always move them around a bit to make station announcements etc more accessible if you want to. As Paul says the more sounds the better :D

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I know I can select my own sounds ,Paul just don't know how to access them all ,if at all You can
with the Navi. As you know 16 fuctions on the Navi

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I know Colin. Just thinking a loud

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
At one point Massoth said the next Navigator firmware would allow for 28 functions...still waiting for that one! I would suggest you listen to both and judge based on the sounds. Personally I think the ESU sound is by far the most realistic of the ones I've heard from the online videos.

Keith

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Keith they were going to allow reverse running on consists about 2 or 3 years ago ::) ::)

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I do find it surprising that Esu and Zimo decoders are a straight plug in but the Massoth ones require an extra wiring loom. There doesn't seem to be much development work being done in what is a very competitive market.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps Massoth have been a victim of their own success??
As they are 'de-facto' the supplier of choice for LGB internals, they perhaps have become complacent?

As Marklin now own the LGB brand, and have their own (quite sophisticated) electronics, Massoth may not have things all their own way from now on?? - Does anyone know who developed the 'factory-fitted' electronics for the new Allegra sets?

All purely conjecture on my part.. 'I know nothing'! :)

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Phil I believe the decoder in the Allegra is their own...not Massoth. The CV's all correspond to Maerklin decoder standards from what I can tell. I'll know better in a few weeks when my 20225 shows up...then I'll likely be pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to program it!

Keith

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sigh!
Looks like I may have to invest in (yet) another proprietary programmer and software then!
:mad: :eek:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I to am wondering if the romance with massoth is waining a .bit.

Think I am going down the esu route. But that may have to wait a couple of weeks senior management suggests

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
You could always get a Sprog for around £50.

You can programme an decoder at any scale with a Sprog ;)

But you (mainly) need the 'proper' kit for loading sound-files, unfortunately..
I have looked at the Sprog, but it is a bit 'roll your own'..

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this on a continental site !

"What I've noticed so far is that the decoder at the Allegra carries the name E240623.

This decoder is from February 2014 be sold separately to retrofit the analog Allegra.

This decoder is a "LGB multi-protocol decoder", supposedly an OEM version of ESU."

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I am with you Phil, on the sprog ok for most standard chips but you really do need a programmer next to interogate and set properly.

Meantime work on it has come to an end due to lack of availability

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm wondering who has a 20225 version and what your experience has been with the new decoder? How do you like the sounds and do all the sounds function? Regarding the functions, does F7 actually trigger the brake squeal sound when you push it or does it just enable/disable the brake squeal?

Have you tried reading all the CV's (other than the ones in their default chart)?
If possible, could someone list all the CV's and default values they were able to read?

Thanks guys....still waiting for mine over on this side of the pond...seems to be taking forever.

Keith

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Once I finish these *&$£**-ing accounts and get the return off, I will start on the Allegra decoder install..
Honest!

It will be a welcome relief.. I always say I will not leave 'the damn paperwork' until the last minute, but I always do..
:( :eek:

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Keith RhB said:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering who has a 20225 version and what your experience has been with the new decoder? How do you like the sounds and do all the sounds function? Regarding the functions, does F7 actually trigger the brake squeal sound when you push it or does it just enable/disable the brake squeal?

Have you tried reading all the CV's (other than the ones in their default chart)?
If possible, could someone list all the CV's and default values they were able to read?

Thanks guys....still waiting for mine over on this side of the pond...seems to be taking forever.

Keith
I've got the 20225 version and have only run it for a short time a couple of evenings and have not done any CV-reading or changes apart from changing the loco adress, so my experience is only with the default settings. Remember to use the programming cable and hook up one of the end cars when reading/writing CVs. I like the sound and functions, it is set up differently though to what I am used to with LGB and Massoth. The F1 whistle sound will last until you stop it by pressing F1 once more. The F6 sequential station announcement is a nice touch, and so is the F8 long distance lights. Never experienced this before with LGB or Massoth. Also, the movement will not start until the start-up sounds finish. A strange anomaly was when I messed around with sequential station announcement and conductor whistle (F11), the train wouldn't move no matter what until F11 was pressed again - I believe this must be a bug. Don't remember how the F7 functionality is. Mind you, the wheels squeal anyway when running at low speeds, like it would be needing lubrication. The pantographs both operate with F3 (center panto is manual only), this can be changed by programming CV272 = 4 and CV372 = 8, then in the driving direction only the rear panto will be raised, but I haven't tried this. The Swiss light change over is a also a nice touch (F12).

There is more information available at a couple of German forums (Cadosch, Spassbahn), even though translating German can be a pain it is worthwile.

I guess it won't be long until you can test all these functions yourself, it is truly a great set.

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly the kind of information I'm after. I've been participating in the Cadosch forum but I was curious what the experience of others has been, especially regarding the brake squeal (F7) function. I'm trying to figure out if it triggers the brake squeal or just enables it and that it happens automatically like the regular LGB locos do. That's interesting about the conductor whistle/F11...

Keith