Latest CS3 update.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just updated the CS3 as per it's request. And now this every time it's started. Any ideas?

PXL_20231211_111928358.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does the question mark, point you to how/where to turn off the bootloader option?

A bootloader, is used to low-level re-load software into a device. Quite often after a failure of a higher-level update.

Assuming all is well/working, and you have done a full shutdown, power-off, recite Mary had a little lamb.. Power-up?

Then I would follow the breadcrumbs, and turn the bootloader off. - I would guess it is a belt and braces approach to the update, which means if it has gone horribly wrong, there is a way to recover?

Failing that, an email to Marklin..

PhilP

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Does the question mark, point you to how/where to turn off the bootloader option?

A bootloader, is used to low-level re-load software into a device. Quite often after a failure of a higher-level update.

Assuming all is well/working, and you have done a full shutdown, power-off, recite Mary had a little lamb.. Power-up?

Then I would follow the breadcrumbs, and turn the bootloader off. - I would guess it is a belt and braces approach to the update, which means if it has gone horribly wrong, there is a way to recover?

Failing that, an email to Marklin..

PhilP
Clicking the question mark reveals this, but it's all gibberish to me....PXL_20231211_115750172.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you acknowledge the message, does that mean you then have normal control, and all seems to work?

The inference is that 'something' has not updated correctly..
This may be a device you have connected to the system, rather than the CS3 itself.

I would shut the system down cleanly.
Then unplug the power for a minute.

It also suggests unplugging 'stuff' connected to the CS3. - I would unplug the track, bus-cables to devices used for automation, and the like..
Then power-up, and see if it boots cleanly?

PhilP

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If you acknowledge the message, does that mean you then have normal control, and all seems to work?

The inference is that 'something' has not updated correctly..
This may be a device you have connected to the system, rather than the CS3 itself.

I would shut the system down cleanly.
Then unplug the power for a minute.

It also suggests unplugging 'stuff' connected to the CS3. - I would unplug the track, bus-cables to devices used for automation, and the like..
Then power-up, and see if it boots cleanly?

PhilP
In plugged everything and still comes up with it. Unticked the box and all is fine. See how we go.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just updated to 2.5.1. On restarting after update my two Zillertal locos went slightly bonkers.

One of them produced simultaneous chuff, whistle and repeating announcements, the other just a continuous whistle. Having switched those off, everthing seems fine. Both are mfx.

I had disconnectted the CS3 from the track before the update, and rebooted it afterwards before reconnecting to the track; so the issue must have been with the upgrade. Need to run some more locos to check if any more are affected. I had other locos on the track when reconnecting but no more issues observed yet. Slightly worrying nonetheless.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A pal of mine bought a CS3 set thinking it was going to be what a dog would be proud of. Turned out to be a crock, for my track powered days I use a Massoth system and had few issues with it. Ok I know that for many being able to have additional handsets via iPads and Mobile phones is cheeper than the Massoth Dimax handsets, but where is the fun in looking at a screen rather than twiddling a knob whilst watching your trains run?

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm generally happy with the CS3 and I run Massoth on the outside layout. Both have virtues and downsides. I've also had issues with Massoth updates. As a programming tool I tend to prefer the CS3 interface to the Massoth programming tool. Horses for course I guess. My main beef with the CS3 is how poorly documented the features are for what is an incredibly complex product.