Just some daydreaming...

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
As I have never paid live steam any serious attention, I really don't know much about it.
But now I am a 'trainee stoker' (passing the theoretical exam a few weeks ago) knowing a lot a little about the working of a steam locomotive, the urge to own one one day is increasing!

What brands & models could I start orienting at that do have a near 'real live' steam experience? For example, I could pass on an oscillating engine as I definitely would like it to be valve operated. Coal fired. Injector(s)...

Of course I'd like to start 'simple', as in a two or three axle locomotives. Regner once offered the Stainz as a kit, now that would be extremely fun to start with (to give you an idea of what might interest me).

So I'm open to suggestions for orientation!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Given your location and if Narrow Gauge is your thing, Henri, a German made Regner product would be a good starting place. Otherwise a UK made Roundhouse product, like a Bertie or Lady Anne,. These two models, with slide valve operation, make good starter locos if full control of the loco, speed and direction, is required. As opposed to a slip eccentric's operated loco's limitations - i.e with oscillating cylinders. Their after sales service is exemplary and their products are well developed, reliable and pretty much bomb proof. For more European oriented subject matter the German division of Accucraft, MBV Schug, offer some very fine scale models of prototypes from your side of the English channel. As do their UK counterpart, if you prefer UK and Colonial types.

Gas fired is the way to go for starters. Simple to operate, with or without radio control. Coal fired locos are out there but expensive. Choose the right gas fired starter loco and you might be able to acquire a conversion kit for it to allow coal firing at a later date without the need to invest in a whole new loco - A new multi tube boiler with firebox, grate and ash pan, usable water tanks and axle driven water pump are required for coal fired operation. Rather than the single flue passing through a water filled boiler used in a gas fired loco.

Most product sold, as 16 mm, 15 mm, 1:22.5 & 7/8th" scale (and let us not forget G1, if you like standard gauge prototypes, in 10 mm/1:32 scale), is made to run on 45 mm gauge track. The UK made products, if stated as 16 mm or 7/8th" scales, will usually offer options to run on both 32 mm & 45 mm gauges, either as an option when purchased (wheels outside frame wheel designs) or readily re-gaugable (wheels inside frame). Oddly, models produce to 15 mm (and 1:22.5) scale do not usually offer this option as they tend to represent models of prototypes that ran on 3 ft (or European 600/750/1000 mm) gauge lines. That and their intended primary sales markets only use the 45 mm gauge standard. 32 mm gauge is seen very much as a "British" idiosyncrasy. Max

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Knowing your interests in the RTM a Roundhouse Stanley Steam Tram is a good option. However if the price hurts the about to be / or recently released Mamod Steam Tram may also be a good starter. Mamods these days are a very different animal to when first introduced in the 80’s.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
As I have never paid live steam any serious attention, I really don't know much about it.
But now I am a 'trainee stoker' (passing the theoretical exam a few weeks ago) knowing a lot a little about the working of a steam locomotive, the urge to own one one day is increasing!

What brands & models could I start orienting at that do have a near 'real live' steam experience? For example, I could pass on an oscillating engine as I definitely would like it to be valve operated. Coal fired. Injector(s)...

Of course I'd like to start 'simple', as in a two or three axle locomotives. Regner once offered the Stainz as a kit, now that would be extremely fun to start with (to give you an idea of what might interest me).

So I'm open to suggestions for orientation!
Roundhouse are the best for beginners, try gas fired locos first, coal fired is great, but takes a lot of learning

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse are the best for beginners, try bass fired locos first, coal fired is great, but takes a lot of learning
Sound advice forgot to mention that, but as Henri is learning the real thing that does give him a head start with coal firing in our scale. The reason why many struggle is due to little knowledge of tge real thing.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Henri did say 'no oscillators'.
Ah but it is a Steam Motor with a geared drive, therefore as I mentioned a very different animal to the early Osci Mamods. Ah yes here is the link to the reported live steam one. The one I linked earlier was the electric one.

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
sit down, get a tissue or two:

Dream away....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
sit down, get a tissue or two:

Dream away....
Interesting site. The Accucraft Dora as they say appears to be a good not too expensive starting point for live steam. Easily converted with a new metal body to a Dutch Steam Tram. Might be just the thing for Henri’s first dip into the water.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting site. The Accucraft Dora as they say appears to be a good not too expensive starting point for live steam. Easily converted with a new metal body to a Dutch Steam Tram. Might be just the thing for Henri’s first dip into the water.
And i have a feeling not to far away from his house(normal driving distance in the Netherlands ~30 min).
It does not hurt to go over there, i believe he has several "open days". incl for learning to drive them.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
That are some very intriging posts, gents!!! Thanks!
Although I said ‘NO OSCILLATION’, that tiny Dora is quite the engine… Having its cilinders inboard it is quite resembliing the setup of a Backer & Rueb ‘square’ tram locomotive.

This might be a nice start into live steam on a budget. With endless tuning and appearance options.

Awww, maybe I first start putting down some track…

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Accucraft Dora as they say appears to be a good not too expensive starting point for live steam. Easily converted with a new metal body to a Dutch Steam Tram.
Ah, Mr BramMoos of Exclusive Models. Did you know he offered a Dutch Tram on a Dora some years ago. I said I'd take one but haven't heard a peep since. Lots of really nice videos of his.

I had a Dora and it was fun. I put it in an Aristocraft doodlebug and ran it as a steam motor. It did tend to melt the plastic until I insulated everything with plywood!

20150815_111654-edited.jpg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I too have a Dora, and it is indeed a good engine to start with, and should be fairly easy to modify to a tram loco, even just fitting side skirts, will put you halfway there. The only small drawback is it has got a very small boiler and gas tank, so it has short run times

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Mr BramMoos of Exclusive Models. Did you know he offered a Dutch Tram on a Dora some years ago. I said I'd take one but haven't heard a peep since. Lots of really nice videos of his.

I had a Dora and it was fun. I put it in an Aristocraft doodlebug and ran it as a steam motor. It did tend to melt the plastic until I insulated everything with plywood!

View attachment 297188
I reckon that is a great demonstration of exactly what Henri is looking for, well at least as a starter for ten.