I P Engineering Wickham Railcar Kit

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Just taken delivery of this kit, and if it is anything like their coach kits then I shall be very pleased indeed !

Looking at the underfloor made me think (a dangerous practice I know) "There is room here for a small decoder....."
Before I get carried away ( and I know I should be carried away by men in white coats) has anyone made one of these, are there any problems, and does it work well on just 3 volts ?
I know that if I were to try and go digital there is the problem of a short wheelbase, so the pickups might be a problem on points, the voltage would have to be regulated carefully.......hmm, maybe I shall leave it as battery.
I would be grateful for any info on this.

Thanks, guys

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi please can you say if the coach kit wheels go through lgb points ok please thanks Dave

Reactions: 1 user

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
In my limited experience the wheels are the weak link in IP kits. Mine go through the points (Aristocraft) fine, but they do not like sharp curves, popping out of the axel boxes. I intend to replace these as soon as I find an alternative.
I have an IP Mandie railcar too, the drive wheels on this, which have to be taken apart to fit the gear, are forever dropping out of gauge, the motor is so noise is very loud & it would deafen the occupants of the railcar, it's strength seems feeble. I would not get too excited about chipping it

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've made the IP Engineering wheels more compatible with LGB R1 pointwork:

http://youtu.be/oI2ACndwMAQ
Disks of 2mm thick plasticard glued behind each wheel to increase the flange width
IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

See - http://riksrailway.blogspot.fr/2012/08/how-i-made-ip-engineering-wheels.html < Link To http://riksrailway.blogsp...ngineering-wheels.html

Rik

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps, for the replies regards Dave

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
The problem is likely to be that the flangeway on the points is too generous, and adding a strip to the inside of the check-rail would give the same result, as might closing the back-to-back slightly on the wheel-set.

These type of problems will persist anywhere there are multiple manufacturers involved.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
The message I am getting is that the wheels may be a problem.
I shall not be using R1 curves, only R2 with (mainly)R3 points.
I think I will assemble the chassis first and try that out before completing the bodywork.
Many thanks for your input

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember rightly, the Wickham railcar is something that Iavn from IP has taken on from another producer, so it may not have his wheels.

IP wheels run through LGB R3 turnouts OK, and Aristo #6 - I'd swapped the wheels by the time I bought my USAT #6 turnout :clap:

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
The Wickham railcar comes with the standard IP wheelsets. The bearings are inside the wheels. It runs well on 3v with the supplied motor. Will pull a fairly heavy truck with no problem.

3fb268a500a642558d70860284235ecd.jpg