How to get chuffing with Phoenix P8

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out what to do to get chuffing with a Phoenix sound P8 decoder. It is in a Bachmann 4-6-0 (starter set engine) that I just put an Airwire P4 in. I didn't realize the Phoenix steam sound board did not have anything to trigger the chuffing. The P8's I've put in USA diesels apparently automatically change the sound based on speed which is what I thought this would do but apparently you need a magnet and sensor for the steam version. What have you used and where do you get such things and is there a trick to installing it? Everything else is working good on it, just that when it's moving the engine sounds are just idling sounds. Thanks!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The first thing is to get the manual and read about the chuff input.

I'd wager you are not in autochuff (voltage level) but set for a chuff switch/trigger.

The manual will tell you what you want to know.

Greg

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
The first thing is to get the manual and read about the chuff input.

I'd wager you are not in autochuff (voltage level) but set for a chuff switch/trigger.

The manual will tell you what you want to know.

Greg
Thanks for the reply. Does the autochuff imply then that the Airwire P4 varies the voltage from the battery to the P8? From what I can understand from both manuals is that autochuff is a setting that has to be preprogrammed into the P8 which apparently it wasn't. Since I don't have a computer programming interface to do this what would I need for going the other route? Sorry I've only done 4 of these with this being the first steam engine and 2 of the diesels were USA GP38's that were straightforward so I'm not as astute as many others in this realm. Thanks.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately you need the programming interface, or perhaps it can be done with a DCC setup.

I did not read the P8 manual before responding last post,

I just took a look at it, and it's true: either the programmer or a DCC system is needed to turn it to "autochuff"

Greg