Hi, I`m New

Dave Franks

Registered
23 Sep 2023
Norfolk UK
Best answers
Country flag
Been wanting to build a garden railway for some time and now circumstances have changed for the better, as I will be moving to a new house over the winter or spring I will have the chance to do something about it, I am in north Norfolk and hope there is a group or club in the area, I have started to gather some items towards it spreading the cost a little,

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave, welcome from another Dave. I was new once, but that was over 73 years ago.

David

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. You've come to the right place for silly jokes and emotional support! Wise move, gently gathering your initial bits and bobs. There are one or two Norfolk-based chaps on here and I'm sure they'll make themselves known to you in due course.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Dave.

North Norfolk eh?

You lucky chap....

20220918_140027.jpg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Dave welcome, the humour has been mentioned, it can be dire ;), but we love photos, so please document your railway progress with photos, new member and new inspiration. But of course we are here to help, the only foolish question is the one you don't ask, but remember there is a good search facility on the forum.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from North Yorkshire, Dave, from someone who wishes they lived in North Norfolk

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Dave..
Good luck with the move!

PhilP

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Dave. I’m not technical , I’m not skilful and I don’t contribute much to the Forum but I learn a “L” of a lot. As in most clubs there are some people you’ll gel with better than others but I think everyone means well. It’s your Railway so do what you want and enjoy learning from mistakes ( everyone makes them ).

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now you've joined a great site - please do TWO more things - join many of us here over on the 16mm Association FaceBook pages, and also join the fantastic Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge modellers. The bulletin that accompanies every one of the 1/4-ly magazines will give you full details of all the happenings in your area. Your local exhibition site is Bressingham.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Dave, fully agree with Tac re the 16mm society. Plenty of members of that society (me included) work with 45mm gauge track, subject to a bit of light banter you should not feel out of place joining them. As for houses, hope it is not a new new houses as they tend to be very limited with garden size. Occasionally you can get lucky but they are few and far between.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Dave, I think most things have been covered. There are actually quite a few forum members in Norfolk, ate you on the coast?Joining the 16mm Association is a great idea
area.groups@16mm.org.uk is the place to look, and there's a group based between Norwich and Cromer

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Well, if you joined the forum after reading some of the free-to-view bits then you are already a nutcase. Never mind the exponents of 16mm, good as it is, just do your own thing and DO NOT be afraid to ask questions. Most here will give helpful answers but then the famous thread-drift cuts in and everything turns into riotus humour, but don't be afraid, it is fairly normal around the forum. However ask the questions anyway, there is a vast amount of knowledge here.

Dave Franks

Registered
23 Sep 2023
Norfolk UK
Best answers
Country flag
No doubt I will be asking some questions, still have to look for a place to move to with a decent garden, have been acquiring a few items of trains and track in readiness,

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Dave. Look forward to your progress.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
No doubt I will be asking some questions, still have to look for a place to move to with a decent garden, have been acquiring a few items of trains and track in readiness,

You have the important bits - the trains and track. Now comes the easy bit!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Dave. There's plenty of expertise on the forum just waiting to be tapped.
As a refugee from South Norfolk (now in Cheshire) I can relate to the attractions of Norfolk.

Rik