DR Rollbock set

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, some time ago I bought this G scale Rollbock set while in Germany. Now that my indoor layout is up and running, I’m wondering what to do with it. One option is to buy a standard gauge wagon to go on it; can anyone recommend a suitable wagon, bearing in mind I have limited clearance on my layout. The alternative is to sell it.

IMG_2307.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, some time ago I bought this G scale Rollbock set while in Germany. Now that my indoor layout is up and running, I’m wondering what to do with it. One option is to buy a standard gauge wagon to go on it; can anyone recommend a suitable wagon, bearing in mind I have limited clearance on my layout. The alternative is to sell it.

View attachment 324370
I have bodged some Piko Wagons wheel so that they are Gauge 3 to fit on my Rollwagens. This thread though about my Rollwagens does show some of the Piko wagons I have used, they come with Twin Buffers each end that you need on your Rollblocks.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
can anyone recommend a suitable wagon
You may be looking for something more "continental" but (if not), back in 2010 on this forum, it was being suggested that Bachmann "troublesome trucks" (and maybe others in that range) could be easily modified to Gauge 3?

1709390232753.png

Whether they'd be suitable for your type of rollbockset is another question.

Cheers

David

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I’ll see what I can find secondhand and modify if necessary.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I’ll see what I can find secondhand and modify if necessary.
I had assumed you were looking for Continental wagons, Rollblocks were not used in UK only the Leek n Manifold had Rollwagens (a 2’6” gauge lined where they were called Transporter wagons) that were sold on to the Ashover a 2ft ish gauge line where they were hardly used. If you wanted anything English Gauge 3 wagons would be suitable, GRS do kits at a price but as said by SevenOfDiamonds SevenOfDiamonds Thomas wagons are relatively easily converted to Gage 3 (63.5 gauge), I have done a couple of items.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
It really need something that looks continental. I found a secondhand Lima european van at a good price at the Rainhill show yesterday, but it was O scale so 32mm gauge which would have looked a bit daft. I’ll keep looking. Meanwhile I took the Rollbocks out of there box for a photo. They do look rather nice with some good detailing.

IMG_2309.jpeg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It really need something that looks continental. I found a secondhand Lima european van at a good price at the Rainhill show yesterday, but it was O scale so 32mm gauge which would have looked a bit daft. I’ll keep looking. Meanwhile I took the Rollbocks out of there box for a photo. They do look rather nice with some good detailing.

View attachment 324451
I don't think they'll run on that Kato Unitrack!

Good to see another N scaler here though....

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 324370
What is your maximum size ? I have a Lotus Lok gauge three wagon which is a little smaller than the Boermann open wagon

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, it needs to be not much bigger than a ‘normal’ LGB wagon as clearances are a bit tight. I can’t find any info on Lotus Lok wagons, but the Boerman wagons look nice. I’m over in North Germany in September, maybe I can find something in a model shop.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lotus Lok have ceased trading but their products turn up on Ebay but having read your reply I feel that they would be too large

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here are my wagons on Rollwagons, all have wheels shoved out to Gauge 3 but more importantly have Dual buffers for SG Wagons. Behind blue Wizzy are Piko, then LGB followed by another Piko wagon. The bogie wagon similarly trated to G3 shove out is another Piko product. All would work fine on your Rollblocks, more importantly a somewhat smaller than correctly scaled Gauge 3 products.
P1010054.jpegIMG_7080.jpeg

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for the photos, that’s a very good solution. I’ll look out for such wagons secondhand.

Cheers