Disabling LGB built in sound

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve recently acquired a LGB streetcar fitted with factory built DCC sound which also works on DC.
it’s incredibly loud and, tbh a bit toylike as there is no way of controlling in when under DC power. I do have DCC facilities, but before I resort to that, is there any way of muting the sound, turning the volume down in DC or if I do it in DCC will those CV values apply to DC as well?

Cheers

Martin

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Check to see if there is a volume potentiometer on the underside first Martin?

It won't be a big knob, but around 4-5 mm in diameter and poking out of the base about 10 mm....

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Gizzy, I’ll take a look later on today…after my flu jab :tmi:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
To disable (rather than turn-down) there may be a switch position, which will allow you to run with the sound turned off..

PhilP

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, position 2 is the same as position 3…all things working.
From LGB instructions
Position 0 All power off
Position 1 Power to lights
Position 2 Power to motors and lights
Position 3 Power to motors, lights and sound.

Has anyone been fiddling?

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,

Strange. The manual I’ve downloaded from onlytrains.com shows the four positions.

0 = everything off
1 = lights
2 = lights, motor and a strange symbol which might be a speaker.
3 = exactly the same as 3.

The manual that came with the model is in its sealed pack and as the model is new, I’m reluctant to open it.

I‘m sure I’ve seen the same configuration elsewhere as well. I shall experiment later and report.

Cheers

Martin

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, position 2 is the same as position 3…all things working.
Yep, you’re right! Position 2 mute the sound. I was looking at the non sound paper manual that I have, where 2 & 3 are the same. Strange though how the more modern manual on the website doesn’t differentiate between the two. Either way, I can turn the volume right down, or mute it and on silent if you listen carefully, there is a slight traction motor whine :inlove:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, you’re right! Position 2 mute the sound. I was looking at the non sound paper manual that I have, where 2 & 3 are the same. Strange though how the more modern manual on the website doesn’t differentiate between the two. Either way, I can turn the volume right down, or mute it and on silent if you listen carefully, there is a slight traction motor whine :inlove:
I didn't see you mention what LGB streetcar model you have. If it's one of the recent productions like the LGB 20384 model, the User Guide shows:
"Mode of Operation Switch. This model has a four-position mode of operation switch on its oor. The mode of operation switch offers the following functions (Fig. 1&2):pos. 0 Locomotive stopped without current Pos. 1 Power to lights, sound and motorPos. 2 & 3 Same as Pos. 1. Note that in DCC operation like all LGB locomotive's with the MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc decoders installed, you can turn the sound on and off using F8, and using CV63 can adjust the volume for both DCC and DC with the range 0 - 255 (Default 255).

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't see you mention what LGB streetcar model you have. If it's one of the recent productions like the LGB 20384 model, the User Guide shows:
"Mode of Operation Switch. This model has a four-position mode of operation switch on its oor. The mode of operation switch offers the following functions (Fig. 1&2):pos. 0 Locomotive stopped without current Pos. 1 Power to lights, sound and motorPos. 2 & 3 Same as Pos. 1. Note that in DCC operation like all LGB locomotive's with the MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc decoders installed, you can turn the sound on and off using F8, and using CV63 can adjust the volume for both DCC and DC with the range 0 - 255 (Default 255).
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your post.

It’s 21382 and there are some previous posts in this thread that have also suggested the same as you. The exception being that position 1 allows the lights and motor to work whilst muting the sound. Position 2 & 3 are the same and allow the sound to operate as well. It’s now running with a much more acceptable sound level…or totally mute if I require. There is a volume switch on the underside close to the slider switch

Cheers

Martin