DCC EX ?

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone used the DCC EX system ? Dcc command station for £70. Quite like the idea of building it on an arduino board and using an old smart phone. recycling in action

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes - I use DCC++EX in a couple of ways - one is for my main railway DCC base station, the other is for my wireless DCC controllers (these have a base station in each loco).

It is worth noting that the 'standard' motor driver shield suggested by DCC++EX is based on 'standard' transistors, and as such can only deal with around 2A of continuous load. For G scale stuff you will likely need something with a bit more behind it.

I built a DCC booster around an IBT-2 module, which uses MOSFET's and is rated for ~40A, however it is regarded that it can supply around 6A continuous load without cooling, over that it requires cooling.

I haven't used them (yet) but Hans Tanner of IoTT has been developing a motor driver based on newer MOSFET's which is rated for 8A and can be stacked to allow different boosters for different sections.

5 - 8 Amp PowerShield for Arduino by IoTT - Internet of Toy Trains on Tindie
5 Amp PowerShield for Arduino (Ext. IBT-2) by IoTT - Internet of Toy Trains on Tindie

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
T
Yes - I use DCC++EX in a couple of ways - one is for my main railway DCC base station, the other is for my wireless DCC controllers (these have a base station in each loco).
Thanks Cobalt, Yes its mainly for a H0m layout im toying with, but would have been useful for checking a couple of LGB trains I have with a DCC decoder. I read they have developed a Motor shield themselves thats rated upto 5 amps. DCC-EX EX-MotorShield8874 RevA — DCC-EX Model Railroading documentation

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, yes, I totally forgot about that! Not played with one - I'd like to see how it handles a 5A load though.

Don't know much on H0m but it looks like that would be plenty for running a few locos and checking a G scale loco.

If you have JMRI you can use DecoderPro with DCC++EX to program decoders :)

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
I have the IoTT motor shield but would recommend the DCC-EX shield if starting from scratch for easier interoperability and set up. The 5A are fine for a few locos but I haven't really tested it to it's limit. I like where Hans is taking his products though and it would appear that his system could power any size layout.

I've also used DCC-EX with JMRI to program decoders and it works without a hitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users