Boaters?

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for ideas on how to make boater hats for my male g scale figures The line is set in France 1920 and lots of pictures show the men with boaters on. Any ideas?

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
thats defo a 3d print, The lines you can get in 3d printing might actually help with the "staw" effect. There are a few people on her that can help you out with that if you dont have a printer.

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
thats defo a 3d print, The lines you can get in 3d printing might actually help with the "staw" effect. There are a few people on her that can help you out with that if you dont have a printer.

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, the thought of a printer that can actually produce things scares me! I am definitely of the wrong generation, but thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, the thought of a printer that can actually produce things scares me! I am definitely of the wrong generation, but thanks for the suggestion!
I understand this, im a printer by trade and work in 2d everyday ! but 3d software does me nut in lol , Unless you find a playmobil version and buy it as a spare part maybe ? but others can print the 3d files for you such as the following.

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
It seems like dabbling in science fiction!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
what a great detail to set the era!

There must be some thin metal washer, flanged rivet or nylon plastic spacer, at the hardware shop, among the screws and bolts section, that might do….bend, fill in with plastic putty…?/? The problem is hats arent round but oblong….this will take some cleverness.

i have, in the past, used white metal 1/12 doll house hats on preise g figures. Top hat, derby, western, sombrero, etc. while oversized, they are quite plausible and fit the figure head.. i dont know if these are available on the other side of the pond. They have become scarce over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
what a great detail to set the era!

There must be some thin metal washer, flanged rivet or nylon plastic spacer, at the hardware shop, among the screws and bolts section, that might do….bend, fill in with plastic putty…?/? The problem is hats arent round but oblong….this will take some cleverness.

i have, in the past, used white metal 1/12 doll house hats on preise g figures. Top hat, derby, western, sombrero, etc. while oversized, they are quite plausible and fit the figure head.. i dont know if these is available on the other side of the pond. They have become scarce over here.
Yes I have thought about small washers for the brim, I will search my small.bits box. Cheers

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Since my post, i found boaters at a dollhouse supply store. Dollhousecity.com…search straw hat.
have no idea if these will be too big, or if they could be altered

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How about thin plastikard and some offcuts of heating pipe?
Two odd bits of copper pipe, file a bit of an edge on them, and use them as punches to make the brim..
Once glued at a suitable jaunty angle, you could them use filler to make the top section.

PhilP

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
How about thin plastikard and some offcuts of heating pipe?
Two odd bits of copper pipe, file a bit of an edge on them, and use them as punches to make the brim..
Once glued at a suitable jaunty angle, you could them use filler to make the top section.

PhilP
Now that is a good idea! Thanks

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
I have had an idea! Small washers for brim, a slice of plastic tube for the riser, and a piece of card from a paper punch for the top. I will try it tomorrow and post a pic if succesful

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
I have had an idea! Small washers for brim, a slice of plastic tube for the riser, and a piece of card from a paper punch for the top. I will try it tomorrow and post a pic if succesful
Still working on this one!

Mikeyh***

Registered
8 Jan 2024
France
Best answers
Country flag
Woops lost my first reply. try again. many thanks for the offer Richard but I think I have cracked it now. I found some presstuds on an old duvet cover which seems the right size ( about 8 mm diameter. But if it doesn't fully work I will get in touch. Thankyou

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've not (yet) made boaters, but I have often added hats of various types to figures to make them more appropriate for my 1930s railway. I use Green stuff which is perfect for the job. A disk and a blob can readily be shaped into a fairly realistic looking hat.

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

Rik