trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Having a slight interest in Tipper trucks, particularly Hudson's, I took the plunge a few weeks ago andbought six. I had no idea of how big they were (apart from the full size ones!), I went for the 45mm ones. As the wheels are a firm 'push on' to the axles, you can set the gauge to whatever you want.

I might make a mine on the garden line (a little undecided yet) but, meanwhile here's a few pics of the product...

This is how they come - strong poly bag, explanatory card header and contents .....
Binnie Tipper Kits (1).JPG

Contents - ABS mouldings on sprues (apart from body and frame), axles in a seperate resealble bag, and an A4 sel-explanatory sheet ...

Binnie Tipper Kits (2).JPG

Binnie Tipper Kits (3).JPG

All that is needed to put things together. I used a Stanley knife because the ABS plastic is harder than polystyrene. It is also recommended that you use a liguid (not the stuff in a tube) solvent cement suitable for ABS. I purchased a small bottle (the old stuff had turned to a stiff jelly!) from from the plumber's Merchant. Equally, I think the the glue for plastic conduit would do the trick too.

Superglue can be used on the axle boxes (presumably this might allow for later removal if you want to alter or change the wheelsets) ...

Binnie Tipper Kits (4).JPG

All six have been assembled (apart from the axle boxes). The body sits in the frame - the former having any injection marks sanded down (there right at the bottom underneath so don't really show anyway) ......

Binnie Tipper Kits (5).JPG

The wheels are set to 45mm gauge and I thought I'd protect the journal s with some tubing (ex-single electric wiring) for the next stage which is spraying them a red oxide colour ....

Binnie Tipper Kits (6).JPG

So it's out to the shed for the next stage!

Attachments

• Binnie Tipper Kits (6).JPG
    Binnie Tipper Kits (6).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Binnie hoppers are great but they are a tad light and need a bit of weight in them.

One solution is to stick a strip of lead along the underside of the strut that goes from front to rear.

Another is to put a load of crushed aggregate in the hopper.
It does not have to to be a complete load but can be some aggregate stuck with PVA glue onto a piece of plastic sheet with bent in sides to make it look like a full load.

binnie load.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder how they hold up when all six are pulled by a loc. They seem to be awfully light?

They are a lot smaller than, say, the LGB ones. When I get one finished, I'll pose it on the track next to the standard LGB one.

The Binnie hoppers are great but they are a tad light and need a bit of weight in them.

One solution is to stick a strip of lead along the underside of the strut that goes from front to rear.

Another is to put a load of crushed aggregate in the hopper.
It does not have to to be a complete load but can be some aggregate stuck with PVA glue onto a piece of plastic sheet with bent in sides to make it look like a full load.

View attachment 212212

Yes they are light Mike. I had thought of metal wheelsets as one way around that. I am also wondering how they will negotiate LGB or Aristo pointwork!

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpg
Here is some I made earlier! Red oxide and grey primer from rattle cans. I run them behind my Chaloner and they rattle along without any problems and my line has some grade on it. I like the combination of a 'sewing machine' and the rattly trucks.
Oh I stick the bins on with silicon so that I can change them later if I want, it is annoying when you go to pick them up and the chassis goes one way and the bins the other!
Dave

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 212215
Here is some I made earlier! Red oxide and grey primer from rattle cans. I run them behind my Chaloner and they rattle along without any problems and my line has some grade on it. I like the combination of a 'sewing machine' and the rattly trucks.
Oh I stick the bins on with silicon so that I can change them later if I want, it is annoying when you go to pick them up and the chassis goes one way and the bins the other!
Dave

That's a good idea Dave - the silicone will do nicely!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Right - everything sprayed up except axles and wheels. Axles are stainless, so I might leave the.

Posed them outside to show the difference between the LGB Feldbahn one and the Binnie scale models...

Tippers now built (2).JPG

Tippers now built (3).JPG

Then I thought, "what would I use to haul then around?" So another posed pic or two. Got out my Li'l Hauler bash but thought it was a little out of scale ...

Tippers now built (4).JPG

Tippers now built (6).JPG

Then I rembered my Kitson Tram engine ... A little bit better I suppose ......

Tippers now built (9).JPG

Tippers now built (10).JPG

I'll probably build a little I/C loco to suit though.

Now I need to make some 'link & pin' couplers although each truck comes with two pins. It isn't that I don't give two pins for them, it's just the bunches of bananas that I call my fingers. So that's the next job (tomorrow I think). I'm well pleased with my bulk purchase!

Reactions: 3 users

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
Thanks for the info. Will be buying some tippers so useful!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Binnie skips are great. They work well behind LGB field railway locos though I've made a slight change to mine in fitting a bit larger diameter Hayward spooked metal wheels. Hmm sorry I can remember the exact reference but there would be other possible spooked wheels that could work too. And Binnie do a spooked wheel that would look nice as well.
SQgUQ13eusVf07yqibg35CiENv98QTaHMPvMNANO2L_tXYweW5XDWJj7cbLSc5y1AA7znrZEzavYQjCL4FRdZYUdDN63CmuzuSOCiiy9kEFY7lKBxkLCgoq6wFyoYO9G2-GJUdDHQomekbSM9xmyTXrY5OV0oJ1Fes0AHHlBuyJNiX6Qnv6XEg9QCZ_4WWsfn0EiGOQxW94ZgzIeQJYMNPMctY2YuJO5HCCRMnbkzBjkNNHBtauDf7QM3ZJ2gnKsN-Am1mP2aXuoqEXlwG0zXnUxyr51jaW3GBEXCST2hVYOz7OGLSm578jj-4Y1zB-G1OeDQtS5daHa9QJElH7maNq0S11m5VTlKP8MLpoIJf_Dpfqb063pby39YA4FjP-AT5irEtS2qvF-IeIettZje-Wl_Y0NFrKOvgZhzFV_m4DHXDPo0ShJCKSfz8Ns_01n-fjh3PldVU8AlUfliUnVW_sLOAitDqpg9YPDeWkqvOOiyO4RAgVLwTHal9fPw0lxi1DePPsyzBurIvJNLOZ2fxJH3z5kDpbl_JCe2Q24x0TR9lEnz5VmvmJK4KnpNZmwu6zXZfLCvdHvOExGSha5RsnsexwGet0=w2012-h1508-no

Reactions: 3 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Binnie skips are great. They work well behind LGB field railway locos though I've made a slight change to mine in fitting a bit larger diameter Hayward spooked metal wheels. Hmm sorry I can remember the exact reference but there would be other possible spooked wheels that could work too. And Binnie do a spooked wheel that would look nice as well.
SQgUQ13eusVf07yqibg35CiENv98QTaHMPvMNANO2L_tXYweW5XDWJj7cbLSc5y1AA7znrZEzavYQjCL4FRdZYUdDN63CmuzuSOCiiy9kEFY7lKBxkLCgoq6wFyoYO9G2-GJUdDHQomekbSM9xmyTXrY5OV0oJ1Fes0AHHlBuyJNiX6Qnv6XEg9QCZ_4WWsfn0EiGOQxW94ZgzIeQJYMNPMctY2YuJO5HCCRMnbkzBjkNNHBtauDf7QM3ZJ2gnKsN-Am1mP2aXuoqEXlwG0zXnUxyr51jaW3GBEXCST2hVYOz7OGLSm578jj-4Y1zB-G1OeDQtS5daHa9QJElH7maNq0S11m5VTlKP8MLpoIJf_Dpfqb063pby39YA4FjP-AT5irEtS2qvF-IeIettZje-Wl_Y0NFrKOvgZhzFV_m4DHXDPo0ShJCKSfz8Ns_01n-fjh3PldVU8AlUfliUnVW_sLOAitDqpg9YPDeWkqvOOiyO4RAgVLwTHal9fPw0lxi1DePPsyzBurIvJNLOZ2fxJH3z5kDpbl_JCe2Q24x0TR9lEnz5VmvmJK4KnpNZmwu6zXZfLCvdHvOExGSha5RsnsexwGet0=w2012-h1508-no

There's a prototype for everything - I re-gauged a 2ft Hudson tipper to 20" and used wheelsets 2.5 x the original wheel diameter! I thought of metal wheels for stability and better running but they seem to run OK on the wheels supplied. I was going to use some Bachmann 25mm dia but found the wheel bosses interfered and would need turning down to reduce the overall width!

Your loco does look the perfect mode for the trucks though!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Just checked and the wheels I fitted to my Binnie Skip were Haywood HW1/1 24.5mm curved spoke (45mm gauge) wheels. The wheels came with brass bearings which required drilling out the axle box to fit but that wasn't a major and the result was the skips lining up, height wise well with the loco, and other one I run them behind.
Now the down side, I got my wheels from Brandbright and from a quick search before posting this I can't find a current supplier, so if you do find a current supplier please let me know!

I'm guess though that your should be able to find some other suitable 24mm diameter metal spoked wheels that would work.

Post edited - Or of course you could just get the 24mm dia curve spoked wheels Binnie Engineering make/sell. I like the sound of metal wheels hence my fussy preference for metal wheels but really for these skips I think Binnie's own curve spoked wheels would be a good and simple choice. :)

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Post edited - Or of course you could just get the 24mm dia curve spoked wheels Binnie Engineering make/sell. I like the sound of metal wheels hence my fussy preference for metal wheels but really for these skips I think Binnie's own curve spoked wheels would be a good and simple choice. :)

Thanks John. I like curved spoke wheels too - that's what I fitted on the 12" to 1' model. And, prompted by you last paragraph, I too took a look at what Peter Binnie had to offer. Choices, choices, choices.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag