Bachmann 'LYN' type loco

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
The lgb type couplings change over easily...but then the loco won't fit back in the box. A stupid question maybe, but why do bachmann fit a speaker but don't supply a means of getting sound? Luckily my LGB sound unit is built into my zillertal coaches rather than in a loco. Still I'd like to add sound to my Lyn too.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Mike got me a second hand Harz 2-10-2 with full Massoth including sound - I agree -it gets you in the fold. Now all 16 locos are digi and half are sound and I am looking to do most of the other half.
He is a bugger is that Mike

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Mike got me a second hand Harz 2-10-2 with full Massoth including sound - I agree -it gets you in the fold. Now all 16 locos are digi and half are sound and I am looking to do most of the other half.
He is a bigger is that Mike

Heheh! For me it was buying a Sachsen Meyer with factory-fitted sound several years back. It sounded so amazing that I was instantly hooked. Since then I've tried to either buy locos that already had sound (and MTS of course), or if I bought an old one that didn't, then I'd try to get a sound decoder at round about the same time so that it was ready to fit when I got the chance. I still have several such projects to do (Real Life(tm) keeps getting in the way), but in most cases the decoders are ready and waiting to be fitted.

Jon.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Lyn is very tight for space if you are using a G scale decoder as you can see in my photos. I think the secret is the simpler to set up the chip is the simpler the sound capability. They are just like the rule 8 we apply to stock, buy the one that seems right to you, if you want more realistic sound then you have to be prepared to do a bit more fiddling around with setting it up. Even when you get the latest chip and soundfiles it's still subjective as to which is best depending on what you want.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I agree about the 'issue' with sound, a must have but a penalty must be paid. Yesterday, I was running two sound equipped LGB Moguls, a factory sound Zillertalbahn U-Lok and a Franki 'S' with trailing sound car, all at the same time on the same track. At first it was a pleasure to hear, but not long after the sound became intolerable and was deactivated. The heavenly bliss that followed was wonderful, just very quiet trains running and not a single sound.

I love sound, but not four at once. Even the sound equipped locomotives parked with just the standing sounds was getting to me and they too were quietened.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
ok, have fitted a 'train-save' decoder, set cv1 to loco no. runs perfectly, pulls three 'thomas' cariages round the garden, smoothly without overheating, but how do i switch on the headlight? it works ok on analogue.
Bachmann say light controlled by <F0> , LGB MTS uses <button 9> for lights
Is light switching possible or incompatable ?
have downloaded the instruction sheets from gaugemaster, but not much help,not being an electronic genious.
I do not wish to start 'playing about' with the wiring.
many thanks

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried all the function buttons sometimes 0 is button 10!

Literally just sorted my Lyn and all that was wrong was the shop hadn't loaded the sounds!! Simply a matter of downloading the sound file off the esu website and then starting up the lokprogrammer and telling it to do a full sound update followed by reloading my customised cv settings. Actually much simpler than the handbook :)
BR99 soundfile as per Harz locos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEhi-awZkQ

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Fitting Accucraft choppers to the new Lyn. 
Just remove the knuckles and get some longer screws to fit the thread. Remove the Accucraft ones from their mounting box, (although you can trim off the moulded housing on the loco and use the Accucraft ones but the don't like anything under R3).
File the top of the chopper to fit the shape of the Bachmann bracket and drill out the top to approx 2mm depth to accept the spigot on the bracket. Screw on and ready to roll. 
31a1400c.jpg

Front 
61412861.jpg

Rear
af759bfc.jpg

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
yes, have tried <button 0> (and pressing all the others)- unfortunately ? <0> is dedecated to <loco select) with MTS.
I,ve just e-mailed Gaugemaster (distributors) for train-save for there opinion.
The CV (49) should control the lights with both MTS and Train-save according to both sets of instructions
I see a lgb controller in your chip fitting instructions, is the sound - chip you fitted
fully MTS compatable ?
if yours works ok, paul, i might ditch this chip and go for lok-sound.
thanks for sugestion.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Lights in the world of DCC are seporate from "Functions". The position of the light indicator flag in the DCC packet varies dependant upon the number of speedsteps in use - hence the lights toggling on & off if the wrong speed step setting is used (14/28/128).

Normally lights are switched using a "Light Key" in LGB's case the Light key has a 9 on it (for other uses such as loco selection).

In Massoth's case, the lights can be triggered by any of the Function commands or the Light Key and the value of specific CVs (51 & 52) determine how they operate. In this case the Light Key has a symbolic value of 0.

If the decoder you have used is NMRA complient then I would expect that out of the box the "Light Key" would switch the lights on off - dependant on the speedstep issue mentioned above.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have just looked at the "documentation" :rofl: for a Tran$ave TSV01a decoder - there is no specific mention that it can handle 14 speed steps as used by MTS. I think here lies your problem.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think Muns has it, if it doesn't do 14 steps all sorts of odd things can happen.
The ESU and Zimo chips have specific cv settings for lgb compatibility so a loksound or (non sound) lokpilot chip will be fine.

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
got on to Gaugemaster, the 'Train-Save' Distributer. Greg, very helpfully tried different CV's
Came up with - CV- 33.............32
CV-34.............32
Lyn's headlight works on <button 4>

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
KGR have a plain green Lyn at £174.It seemed pretty good value to me.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
p.williams said:
got on to Gaugemaster, the 'Train-Save' Distributer. Greg, very helpfully tried different CV's
Came up with - CV- 33.............32
CV-34.............32
Lyn's headlight works on <button 4>
That seems a very odd function number to make the headlights work. They really should be on the headlight function like any other decoder. The decoder has an 8-pin NEM 652 plug, right? In that case I wouldn't have thought even something like plugging in the wrong way round would cause the lights to work on button 4 (which I assume matches DCC function #4?)

Looking at the JMRI Yahoo group, it seems a couple of guys have been working towards producing a decoder definition for this Trainsave decoder. Looks like a bit of trial and error based on apparent similarity to an existing TCX decoder's features. Reading the xml definition that they've created would seem to indicate that the decoder should support 14 speed steps. It also seems to have quite complex function/lighting remapping capabilities and effects. This might be why the headlights aren't reacting to the expected button if they've somehow become remapped? Just a thought.

<edit>
If I'm reading the decoder xml correctly, the two CV settings suggested by Gaugemaster (CV33 = 32 and CV34 = 32) should be instructing the decoder to interpret the lighting function commands to switch the purple function wire rather than (or maybe as well as) the usual white and yellow headlight/tail light wires. Do you have this purple wire connected up anywhere, as I don't think it's part of the usual NEM 652 8-pin plug?
</edit>

timcostello

Registered
16 Jan 2012
Best answers
Re: Bachmann 'Lyn' loco

I have just started out in G-45 garden railways and got the marvellous Bachmann 'Lyn' as my loco using Peco G45 track. It is the latest model loco so is pre-wired for decoders and modules and here is my question:

It will run on normal DC from a controller, no DCC, and I would like to install a decoder/module to give it the steam loco 'chuff-chuff' sound. I don't need any other facilities from the unit. Where can I get such a unit and what is the product name? I am fairly competent to fit it myself if it is a simple plug and play device.

I have seen some decoders/modules for as little as £15 but surely life cannot be that good to us? Please let me know what is available and I will be very grateful.

Tim in Dublin.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tim,
if all you want is to add some chuff sounds then it may be that a full DCC sound decoder is overkill and expensive. Perhaps all you really need is an analogue sound card and speaker? Something like the MyLocoSound card might do the job?
http://www.mylocosound.com/
It won't be directly plug'n'play but shouldn't be too difficult to get a plug in harness that will fit the decoder socket, and figure out how to wire the sound card and still keep the lights on dc.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tim,

The MyLocoSound steam soundcard will certainly do the job. A friend of mine has asked me to install one in his Bachmann Lyn and I am due to pick it up this weekend. The conversion I am doing is much bigger than you will need to do because he wants to change it to battery power radio control using an Aristocraft Revolution controller.

In your case, you just need to install the soundcard (the cab floor looks a good place) and connect it to the existing wiring. Very little soldering needed. If you decide to order a soundcard, I will work out the connections for you.

When I have finished the conversion here I will post details and a video.

Regards
Peter Lucas
http://www.mylocosound.com < Link To www.mylocosound.com