bachmann connie 2-8-0 drive gear

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
hi everyone -i am a new member -hello to everyone -i have a 2-8-0 connie -(bachmann item 81295) -had it from new -just stopped-had a look inside the gearbox cover -the drive gear on the axle is split and rotates on the wheel shaft -apparently this is a common fault -the motor is ok -i live in the uk -anyone know where i can get one of these gears- either nylon or metal -best regards to all

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
hi everyone -i am a new member -hello to everyone -i have a 2-8-0 connie -(bachmann item 81295) -had it from new -just stopped-had a look inside the gearbox cover -the drive gear on the axle is split and rotates on the wheel shaft -apparently this is a common fault -the motor is ok -i live in the uk -anyone know where i can get one of these gears- either nylon or metal -best regards to all
You should be able to get an axle, with brass gear..

Google 'Bachmann Europe'..

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You may have to order one from the Bachmann Estore in the USA - yep, you've got to pay extortionate postage but it's well worth it - they're lovely locos.

The chassis dismantling is fairly straightforward, just lots of screws and you need to dismantle a fair bit of the motion to get the axle out.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Greystone. You found the good advice, now just beware of the humour! Tell us more about your line, and pictures are well received

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
hi thanks everyone for your quick replies =managed to get one from bachmann europe (axle with gear fitted)-should arrive in a few days -then i will have a go at fitting -best regards to all

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
hi thanks everyone for your quick replies =managed to get one from bachmann europe (axle with gear fitted)-should arrive in a few days -then i will have a go at fitting -best regards to all
I did both of mine a few years ago, but if you're stumped at any point, I might :mm: be able to steer you through :nod:

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
thank you

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is the instructions I followed when I replaced the one on my Connie, instead of replacing the gear I replaced the whole axle assembly

Attachments

• Replacing the axle gear on Bachmann Connie.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
thanks so much for the instructions-it doesnt look quite so daunting anymore -thanks again

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
thanks so much for the instructions-it doesnt look quite so daunting anymore -thanks again
If you arrange the wheels and motion, so something is horizontal (or vertical) then take photos on your phone of both sides, you have a reference to gets things in the right place when you put it back together.

Same when you take the motor-block apart..

Check if screws are different sizes, in different positions. - They may be the same gauge (diameter) but different lengths.

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
thank you
Just remembered - if you should drop a screw into the works, wait until you have got the lower chassis cradle holding the axles in place before you turn the loco over to shake the miscreant screw out. Otherwise you get absolutely everything all over the floor o_O

Don't ask me how I know :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
philp thanks again for all your help -the part came today(it was the axle with the gear fitted)-removed all the bits and pieces but noticed after removing the original axle and gear the remaining gearbox housing seemed quite loose -your pdf instructions mentions that during reassembly you have to lift the gearbox a little -so is it kind of floating around until its all back together or does this mean the motor is loose -its just that i am reluctant to take the boiler off if i can get away without doing it -best regards

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
philp thanks again for all your help -the part came today(it was the axle with the gear fitted)-removed all the bits and pieces but noticed after removing the original axle and gear the remaining gearbox housing seemed quite loose -your pdf instructions mentions that during reassembly you have to lift the gearbox a little -so is it kind of floating around until its all back together or does this mean the motor is loose -its just that i am reluctant to take the boiler off if i can get away without doing it -best regards
It does float, because of the sprung axle. I'm not sure of the motor fixing arrangement (I've never dived in to look) but for obvious reasons it's not rock solid - it just needs to be retained to prevent it winding round the axle. From your description, yours sounds normal / OK.

One of the necessary fixes with these locos was to use a little bit of Loctite when putting the motion screws back on. Loctite 248 thread locker is good for this as it will allow you to removed the screws at a later date if necessary.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Another little trick:

When putting the screws back in, if you rotate them 'backwards' (as if undoing them) you should detect a slight 'click' as the thread on the screw drops into the thread cut in the plastic..
This makes it a little easier to drive the screws, and does not chew up so much of the inside of the mounting holes.

Don't force the screws..
If it won't pull closed, you have something trapped, or not sitting correctly..
I sometimes find I have a problem, and a loco just won't go back together. - Leave it for a while, and come back to it.. Then work through it again.. It is then you find the trapped wire, or something not quite sitting correctly.

PhilP

greystone

Registered
22 Aug 2023
uk
Best answers
Country flag
phillp thanks again for all your help -will get some loctite before reassembly -i think i would have been in real trouble without your help -best regards