ASTER live steam 2-4-0 JUMBO

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
At Thurnby we have enjoyed a large variation of motive power during this last year steaming everything from Cab Forwards to Garratts and covering pretty well all of the popular maufacturers.

The Aster Jumbo's have been one of our favorites and very attractive little engines they are. To compensate for their size, Aster supplied them in 1:22.5 scale (shades of LGB with narrow gauge) and they were available in three alternative liveries. Picture shown in LMS crimson lake.

Engines were meths fired in the Aster tradition (although my Aster Bigboy is gas fired!) with two cylinders and slip eccentric valve gear.

It was as long ago as 1998,( time flys) when they first became available, so would be enthusiasts must look towards the pre-owned market nowadays.
Aster web site might ge a good start
e33fdfb1daea46c7a4bc423c58b0de20.jpg

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Now that looks very nice Sir

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Thats the one Aster loco i would own. Nice and simple, not much to go wrong.

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers
Trevor,
You induced guilt in me. I hadnt run my Jumbo since October,, soooo. with the 2 grandsons attending. we made up my vintage train [8 tinplate LNWR coaches with brake and bullion van. ] and prepared the engine ,out of the shed road. reverse back and down onto the train at the platform. couple up, vacumm brake test, from the guard , and right away, shes always a bit wet, starting from cold[saturated steam] but by the time shes out of the yard shes got hold of them and barking away[no chuff pipes needed], got areal roll on over the bridge and down the back straight,2 laps and close down the bypass to atiny dribble, to balance the boiler water use, and she will keep going for 20 mins or so, with a stop for water about half way. just lovely and the last run of the year.. may 2010 be good for everyone.

Gordon Watson

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
tac said:
main131 said:
At Thurnby we have enjoyed a large variation of motive power during this last year steaming everything from Cab Forwards to Garratts and covering pretty well all of the popular maufacturers.

The Aster Jumbo's have been one of our favorites and very attractive little engines they are. To compensate for their size, Aster supplied them in 1:22.5 scale (shades of LGB with narrow gauge) and they were available in three alternative liveries. Picture shown in LMS crimson lake.

Engines were meths fired in the Aster tradition (although my Aster Bigboy is gas fired!) with two cylinders and slip eccentric valve gear.

It was as long ago as 1998,( time flys) when they first became available, so would be enthusiasts must look towards the pre-owned market nowadays.
Aster web site might ge a good start

Evening, Trevor. You know me, anything for a quiet life, but I just can't agree with you about the scale of the Aster LNWR Precedent/Jumbo. Measuring the drive wheels of the model = 63mm, and comparing them mathematically with the real thing - 81 inches, the scale comes out at 1/32.657.

Near enough to 1/32nd for most folks.

Here's the workings -

Actual diameter of wheel = 81 inches, converted into mm = 81 x 25.4 = 2057.4mm

Divide THAT figure by 63 and you get 32.657142.

S'easy.:D

Best

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org

Evening, Trevor. You know me, anything for a quiet life, but I just can't agree with you about the scale of the Aster LNWR Precedent/Jumbo. Measuring the drive wheels of the model = 63mm, and comparing them mathematically with the real thing - 81 inches, the scale comes out at 1/32.657. Near enough to 1/32nd for most folks. Here's the workings - Actual diameter of wheel = 81 inches, converted into mm = 81 x 25.4 = 2057.4mm Divide THAT figure by 63 and you get 32.657142.

Hi Tac
Yes. you are correct on the wheels.
It's the body I'm talking about! Look at the picture?
Trevor