rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I don't need the latest and greatest, still buying an older unit than the current TrackSide 7 R/C with palm-fitting control is it too dated to purchase in 2024?
TNX for opinions!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I really liked my Train Engineer. It was only because I wanted sound when locos were stationary that I went to DCC.

If it works well for you then stick with it....

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Gizzy.

Sound for my non-converted to BP/RC is modest, ...thunder car, LGB coal car and for the latter a magnet triggered whistle.

For general atmosphere I have a recording from Ilanz RhB station announcing train in German, English and Romansh. I will live with those modest sounds for the Stainz and the Austrian U43 (LGB 2070D). Five other locos come with TE (others fitted them for me).

So, I'll go for that item costing me about 1/3rd of a brand new TrackSide 7 R/C set. Thanks again! -- Ren

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I have to come back to this. At this time I wonder about purchasing the old Aristo-Craft-5470 (and whether that is a worthwhile idea at about US$100; the much later TrackSide 7 R/C with Transmitter will cost me about 3 times that in Canada).
How easy is it to set up and control? Do different channels and/or frequencies mean more than track powered loco when running on electrically separate tracks? Or are these settings of channel & frequency only to coördinate two or more participants in a running session? (I am out in the sticks and mostly just by myself other than LGB steam engineers exchanging some words … ;-])

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I used mine to control power to control power to the track.

I had isolated track sections which I could hold other locos, when not in use....

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I used mine to control power to control power to the track.
check
I had isolated track sections which I could hold other locos, when not in use....
Exactly a consideration here, and this did work for you.
May yet come back once more. Have to find out what the settings of channels & frequencies is intended for.

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use both the Aristo 27 mhz for DC outside and switch control. I went to DCC for running trains and added a DPDT track power switch to select DC or DCC. Switches are controlled by Artisto via telephone wires, not track power.

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I use both the Aristo 27 mhz for DC outside and switch control. I went to DCC for running trains and added a DPDT track power switch to select DC or DCC. Switches are controlled by Artisto via telephone wires, not track power.
Thanks for this detail!