Any idea what this is? as Swmbo quite likes it...

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This has sprouted up at the end of Swmbo`s wheelchair ramp, can anyone identify it...

P1000602 (600 x 450).jpg

Its no doubt a weed, but as they say beauty is mud in your eye :eek: well something like that, anyhow Swmbo likes it.

Started out that the flowers were a pinkish purple, then the pale blue, and for contrast that`s a ten pence coin for size..

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Looks like Forgetmenot

Esattamente!

It's hard not to like.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
It isn't that hard, not when you've been trying to eliminate it from the rose beds for the better part of 20 yrs. Every year about this time I have to go round and haul another load out, and it just keeps coming.

D

Deleted member 1986

bobg said:
It isn't that hard, not when you've been trying to eliminate it from the rose beds for the better part of 20 yrs. Every year about this time I have to go round and haul another load out, and it just keeps coming.

Forget me nots are taprooted plants , usually can be killed by promptly removing new growth with as much root as you can get at.

After maybe two or three continuous goes round grubbing it out, there should be nothing left capable of surviving. Or maybe not :)

Other wise try using Glyphosate which is an excellent way to kill taprooted plants. Spray at the recommended dilution (about 1%) when the plant is in full growth in late spring. Deeply established plants and any pieces of root that you've already broken off may regrow and have to be sprayed again.

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
We have had these things in our garden ever since we moved in in 1982. We have now agreed with the gardener that they are flowers, not weeds! Makes life simpler.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
You guys realy are lucky, a few flowers? I wish thats the problem I had. Strewth Hyacinth makes a habit of watching all the DIY shows on TV and as soon as the blonde bimbo told us all how easy it is to completely revamp a kitchen for less than $500 I just knew Hyacinth would want this done to ours.... I did say when we bought the house that it needed a new kitchen.... I put in new laminated bench tops 2 years ago and they are junk despite costing about $1k... Eventually (unfortunately) Hyacinth found the special paint to resurface the doors etc then found the synthetic psudeo fake granite finish at a shop in Goulburn... I have resurfaced half the doors and its not that hard, the paint is a wet on wet system and if you try and achieve a mirror finish then you will be disappointed but if you let it dry for 30 mins till tacky then run a HD foam roller over it a nice texture is obtained....

New handles via Ebay and they were sensibly priced, we needed 28 but bought a job lot of 30 for $42 free postage....

When its all nice and dry I will mask off and attempt the fake granite finish, its got more steps than the Giants staircase, clean, sand, apply thick black base coat, spray with wetting agent, scatter the granite chips, allow them to settle into black goo, allow 48 hours to cure, scrape off excess and sand again till smooth with the special diamond coated sanding tool in the kit then apply the clear top coat that gives the surface the 3D illusion of being real granite and wait 72 hours for it to cure....

I think the blonde bimbo cheated, I didn't see her farting around filling the holes and drilling new ones for her new handles and its a task that takes at least a week some parts need 48/72 hours to dry so doing the job in a weekend is impossible even if you have a crew of 100's

I'll be demanding Hyacinth send me for a Nuru massage when I get this done... I might even start putting adds on here for kitchen refurbishments....

Mean while I'm off to Costco for a 20 ltr bucket of Radox Bath stuff.... Then I may get some P&Q I have a tramway to build....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers for the info...

Just for what it's worth, I thought it was Germander Speedwell, (Watch that will be the posh name for Forget Me Not) as that what it looked like in book I have..

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
You guys realy are lucky, a few flowers? I wish thats the problem I had. Strewth Hyacinth makes a habit of watching all the DIY shows on TV and as soon as the blonde bimbo told us all how easy it is to completely revamp a kitchen for less than $500 I just knew Hyacinth would want this done to ours.... I did say when we bought the house that it needed a new kitchen.... I put in new laminated bench tops 2 years ago and they are junk despite costing about $1k... Eventually (unfortunately) Hyacinth found the special paint to resurface the doors etc then found the synthetic psudeo fake granite finish at a shop in Goulburn... I have resurfaced half the doors and its not that hard, the paint is a wet on wet system and if you try and achieve a mirror finish then you will be disappointed but if you let it dry for 30 mins till tacky then run a HD foam roller over it a nice texture is obtained....

New handles via Ebay and they were sensibly priced, we needed 28 but bought a job lot of 30 for $42 free postage....

When its all nice and dry I will mask off and attempt the fake granite finish, its got more steps than the Giants staircase, clean, sand, apply thick black base coat, spray with wetting agent, scatter the granite chips, allow them to settle into black goo, allow 48 hours to cure, scrape off excess and sand again till smooth with the special diamond coated sanding tool in the kit then apply the clear top coat that gives the surface the 3D illusion of being real granite and wait 72 hours for it to cure....

I think the blonde bimbo cheated, I didn't see her farting around filling the holes and drilling new ones for her new handles and its a task that takes at least a week some parts need 48/72 hours to dry so doing the job in a weekend is impossible even if you have a crew of 100's

I'll be demanding Hyacinth send me for a Nuru massage when I get this done... I might even start putting adds on here for kitchen refurbishments....

Mean while I'm off to Costco for a 20 ltr bucket of Radox Bath stuff.... Then I may get some P&Q I have a tramway to build....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Def' forgetmenot, gets everywhere. I have just had a round of pulling it up before it gets entrenched.
As has been said it keeps on appearing year after year.
I don't mind it except that it grows close to and in the track.
SWMBO also likes it and wanted to leave it but she hasn't noticed, yet, that I have removed most of it!

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
There are numerous "romantic" ideas as to its name but the version I prefer is that prior to the days of efficient herbicides you could never eradicate it hence "you could forget me not" An idea for a G scale flowery meadow or paddock, is this like dandelions? You mow it and the plants stay down at mower level but flower even more profusely? if it does then it may be very useful to make a sweeping vista of blue flowers to look like Salvation Jane or Pattersons Curse especially if you use the deep blue Chinese variant and clip it very short.....

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I have a tramway to build....

;) That's what I like, a man with a purpose in life!